You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

ATC: how to approach beginners on the network

Mats Edvin Aaro

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
On 1/12/2021 at 4:18 PM, Andreas Fuchs said:

Actually, if you did not understand an instruction, because it was too fast, you say say again slower.

I was just quoting CAP413, 1.6 Table 7 regarding standard words and phrases. Maybe ICAO doesn't have that, and probably FAA doesn't. I was also quoting that document re. the 100 WPM rate of speech. Ditto ICAO, ditto FAA.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

• Replies 70
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andreas Fuchs

• Don Desfosse

• Robert Shearman Jr

• Alistair Thomson

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andreas Fuchs

Andreas Fuchs 8 posts

• Don Desfosse

Don Desfosse 7 posts

• Robert Shearman Jr

Robert Shearman Jr 7 posts

• Alistair Thomson

Alistair Thomson 6 posts

Popular Days

• Jun 23 2022

11 posts

• Feb 23 2022

7 posts

• Jun 24 2022

6 posts

• Jan 13 2021

5 posts

Popular Posts

Mats Edvin Aaro

Disclaimer: This is a sporadic PSA from my own experiences as a beginner, controller and supervisor on VATSIM. These are my own personal opinions, and does in no way reflect VATSIM's official sta

Tobias Dammers

That's not entirely true though. In principle, you can of course pick any callsign you want, and it's technically not wrong to be Lima Hotel One Two Three. But technicalities aside, in cases like

Kirk Christie

While I agree that its not conventional to fly with LH instead of DLH, I disagree with the ground controllers approach to the situation. The ground controller has no authority to tell some one to leav

Posted Images

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

And I quoted what we say in the real world

So did I.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

Yes, but you wrote what the book says, I had an example from the job. But hey, both ways will get the results.

PS: ICAO Doc 4444 (I got the 16th edition here) indeed does NOT state anything about "SAY AGAIN" in this context. It uses "SAY AGAIN" for ATC to emphasize an instruction: HOLD POSITION, CANCEL TAKE-OFF I SAY AGAIN CANCEL TAKE-OFF (reasons) and for conditional clearances: [THAT IS] CORRECT (or NEGATIVE) [I SAY AGAIN] ... (as appropriate)

Our German ATC provider DFS has its own set of phraseology and it contains some of the things that were mentioned on this and on the other thread:

• SAY AGAIN: „Repeat all, or the following part, of your last transmission“
  • SPEAK SLOWER: „Reduce your rate of speech“

Therefore the combination would be "SAY AGAIN SLOWER", because "SAY AGAIN SPEAK SLOWER" does not sound right 😛

Edited by Andreas Fuchs
further information

Martin Loxbo
Posted
Posted

This:

29 minutes ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

ICAO Doc 4444 (I got the 16th edition here) indeed does NOT state anything about "SAY AGAIN" in this context.

... is because this:

29 minutes ago, Andreas Fuchs said:
  • SAY AGAIN: „Repeat all, or the following part, of your last transmission“
  • SPEAK SLOWER: „Reduce your rate of speech“

... is phraseology described in Annex 10.

• Like 1

Martin Loxbo

Director Sweden FIR

VATSIM Scandinavia

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted (edited)

Ah, I never checked Annex 10, thanks for filling my knowledge gap! Luckily, in the real world, we always find a way to get to some decent results, as long as both sides kind of speak the same language.

Edited by Andreas Fuchs
  • Like 1

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
20 hours ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Luckily, in the real world, we always find a way to get to some decent results, as long as both sides kind of speak the same language.

That way is surely based on correct terminology. As a RW commercial pilot and flying instructor, I would have jumped down the throat of any of my students who decided to re-write the book.

Alistair Thomson

===

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Alistair Thomson said:

As a RW commercial pilot and flying instructor, I would have jumped down the throat of any of my students who decided to re-write the book.

As a RW ATP rated captain I would not have accepted this 😄

• Haha 1

Jonas Helkey
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Alistair Thomson said:

That way is surely based on correct terminology. As a RW commercial pilot and flying instructor, I would have jumped down the throat of any of my students who decided to re-write the book.

Certainly it's hard to disagree with your sentiment in general, but wherever humans communicate with one another, a degree of flexibility is needed in my opinion. Phraseology is absolutely a good thing, but if for whatever reason it cannot get a message across when deviating from it can, the better outcome must surely be the one where the message is recieved and understood rather than the one where the book was applied with utmost precision. Again, granted, that's not what you'd teach. But I'd argue it's a degree of flexibility you should be ready to show if the need arises.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Jonas Helkey said:

I'd argue it's a degree of flexibility you should be ready to show if the need arises.

And I see where you are coming from too, but the point is, who decides what to say? Andreas has said that "you should say X" and someone else could say, "you should say Y" but the only folks who are actually entitled to tell you what to say are those guys who write the docs.

And I don't know how it could be easier to understand colloquialisms or personal preferences than the phraseology taught in flying training. It's precisely the fact that "yup" and "OK" and ten-four" and "gotcha" and a dozen other ways of confirming, or affirming, or agreeing can be taken to mean different things, that standard phraseology has been created. Particularly in a multi-language setting where the language of ATC may not be the native language of the pilot.

• Like 1

Alistair Thomson

===

• 1 month later...
Daniel Kormendy
Posted
Posted

I really appreciate you explaining this Mats it feels every time I get on a big position like CZQX_FSS or another center position and frustrated that a new pilot does not know what he or she is doing I can get frustrated easily and I never really understood what to do. Being a controller for about two years, I always assumed pilots had to already know information previously but I was never right. I have always been frustrated at pilots making plain dumb mistakes and I never thought of how other new pilots felt when they see a big stretch of airspace out over them and they feel overwhelmed. I say that I didn't understand this because I forgotten that I was once a new guy on the network spawning in KJFK as N172SP and requesting taxi for IFR pattern work. I want to ensure pilots enjoy there time when they fly in my airspace or that they understand everything as well and I think you helped clear this vague topic.

• 8 months later...
Daniel Faria
Posted
Posted

I think the ATC should be willing to help new pilots and that new pilots read the materials befor joining

Jack Deeth
Posted
Posted
On 8/24/2020 at 12:10 PM, Mats Edvin Aaro said:

@Tom David We have recently introduced a mandatory "P0" course + test that all new registrations must undergo before being able to log onto the network. There they are shown all of these resources in a very organized manner. You can view the info they receive by going to this link, which is a new section in the PRC PLC (Rebranded Pilot Learning Center).

The document needs updated - seems Vatsim no longer supports X-Plane 10, as all the Velocity-compatible clients have dropped XP10 support 😥

End of a somewhat blurry era!

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Thank you for pointing that out.  Web team, the specific reference that should be updated to remove xPlane 10 is https://my.vatsim.net/learn/new-member-orientation-course/section/113/page/27

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted (edited)
15 minutes ago, Don Desfosse said:

Thank you for pointing that out.  Web team, the specific reference that should be updated to remove xPlane 10 is https://my.vatsim.net/learn/new-member-orientation-course/section/113/page/27

Done 🙂

It still says Xplane 10 in the picture, but for that we'll need a new picture.

Edited by Dace Nicmane
  • Like 1
KntU2Cw.jpg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

@Dace NicmaneSorry I didn't notice it right away, but we should probably remove FS2002 as well....

In terms of the picture, good point, I wonder if someone who's good with stuff like that could replace the XP10 picture in the collage with P3D.

Don Desfosse

Dace Nicmane
Posted
Posted

Removed FS2002 as well.

• Like 1
KntU2Cw.jpg

Jack Deeth
Posted
Posted

Graphic design is my passion 😉

Screenshot_20220223-193115-764.png

• Like 1

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

I'm about as talented in the graphic design space...

image.png.40cd71d6a878e7a401a856a6e4a28cb0.png

• Like 2

Don Desfosse

Filippo Genoni
Posted
Posted

Bruh,

It’s probably the worst graphic ever ahah

796CFE7B-5924-42E9-A779-75E8C8BE1E7F.jpeg

FILIPPO GENONI

S2 - Morocco vACC (VATMENA)

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

While we're at it, xSquawkBox needs to be removed form the list at https://www.vatsim.net/documents/approved-software

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

• 2 months later...
Nicholas Fishenden
Posted
Posted

Maybe I just got unlucky then. I am now thinking of leaving VATSIM due to the way a controller spoke to me the other night. I know I am new to VATSIM and learning  but im not new to flying or flight sims.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Nicholas Fishenden said:

Maybe I just got unlucky then. I am now thinking of leaving VATSIM due to the way a controller spoke to me the other night. I know I am new to VATSIM and learning  but im not new to flying or flight sims.

Don't leave. As you wrote: it was ONE controller. One out of hundreds, if not thousands. Don't allow one bad apple in the basket spoil your experience. Give feedback to the ATC-facility where it happened.

• 1 month later...
David Feigenwinter
Posted
Posted

I also wanted to quickly share my experience during my FIRST flight on the Vatsim network.

I do not share the details of the flight to not expose anyone involved.

As I said, this was my first flight on the network, however I am quite experienced in flight simulation. I hesitated to try Vatsim for the longest time, but thought to give it a try. I added BEGINNER to the flight plan. Departure went smoothly. Trouble began at initial descent. Controller assigned different STAR than I expected (this is of course something the controller cannot be blamed for), but assigned me at the same time a direct-to which was NOT part of the arrival route, and expected me to be at a specific FL at a given waypoint. There was absolutely no other traffic around. I then paniced and closed the sim (I know this is a big nogo, but when panic hits you..). I never ever tried again.

To come back to the thread topic: If a new pilot explicitly adds a BEGINNER remark to the FL, why not take it slow and easy, especially if nobody else is close? Should I tell upon first radio contact that I am a beginner? And most important question: Should I try again? 🤪

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
20 minutes ago, David Feigenwinter said:

I am quite experienced in flight simulation

Did that experience include you having to change a STAR? That process is common in VATSIM and in the real world and requires a reasonable familiarity with the FMC. Should you try again? Absolutely! But maybe you could brush up on the use of aircraft automation first! 🙂

Alistair Thomson

===