You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

[30th October 2021] Cross the Pond Eastbound - Discussion Thread

Chris Pawley

Zachary Aghdaei
Posted
Posted
4 hours ago, Liesel Downes said:

You get all of this for free, completely from dozens of hours of donated time from people who work full time jobs in IT. Could you not be grateful for that? You are one of hundreds of people every year who don't manage to get a slot, and it's attitudes like this that make it worse.  You are not entitled to this network any more than anyone else.

Look, no doubt we are all grateful for all the work everyone puts into this event 2x a year. But this is a pretty frustrating situation for many people. I for example was on the website before 2100z and still somehow didn't get a slot. I recognize that it's a luck thing and there are others like me too, but it's still frustrating.

• Like 1

Zac Aghdaei

PMDG Captain since 2015

PMDG_Banner_777_Pilot.jpeg.45125e026d3252f34dae9b989c99bb89.jpeg

• Replies 79
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andreas Fuchs

• Nick Marinov

• Kieran Hardern

• Bernardo Reis

Top Posters In This Topic

• Andreas Fuchs

Andreas Fuchs 8 posts

• Nick Marinov

Nick Marinov 7 posts

• Kieran Hardern

Kieran Hardern 6 posts

• Bernardo Reis

Bernardo Reis 4 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 30 2021

16 posts

• Oct 28 2021

10 posts

• Oct 25 2021

10 posts

• Oct 29 2021

8 posts

Popular Posts

Liesel Downes

You get all of this for free, completely from dozens of hours of donated time from people who work full time jobs in IT. Could you not be grateful for that? You are one of hundreds of people every yea

Kieran Hardern

The final arrivals are landing for Cross the Pond Eastbound 2021. This is the 20th anniversary of the Cross the Pond event and the first time we’ve offered over 1000 slots to pilots. We made a lot of

Robert Shearman Jr

I submit that this kind of frustration surrounding the free-for-all booking process is exactly why it was primarily switched to a time-release lottery system...

Posted Images

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

I submit that this kind of frustration surrounding the free-for-all booking process is exactly why it was primarily switched to a time-release lottery system...

• Like 3
  • Thanks 2

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Tobias Dammers
Posted
Posted

I guess it takes a certain degree of emotional maturity to understand how this works.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 2
23.png

Kieran Hardern
Posted
Posted

All pilots with a slot MUST login to confirm you are flying between now and  27th October at 2100 UTC, otherwise it will be lost! View your dashboard to confirm your slot.

If you are planning not to fly, please log into the site to drop your slot. This enables someone who wants to fly to do so.

While you’re there, double check you have a callsign you are happy with and that you have put in your maximum acceptable flight level. This flight level is the maximum level you anticipate to be able to achieve by the ocean. We will allocate you a level at or below this level when we assign your route.

You will receive your route, SELCAL along with your confirmed flight level on the day of the event. This will be sent via email and available via your pilot dashboard.

If you have questions, you can contact us via this thread. If you're a discord user, the #role-selection channel allows you to select the CTP group to access discussion and a direct question channel to the organisers.

Stephan Wörmcke
Posted
Posted
Hello  I booked a slot for the event and i received a confirmation email from Vatsim. 
The mail says that I can look at my booking or if I have problems via http://ctp.vatsim.net/dashboard !
But I can't see my booked flight through either of them! 
Instead I get an error message: You are unable to access that URL at this time. 
Now I've got an new email again that I should confirm my slot until October 27th.
Can someone help me here?
Thanks and Best regards 
Stephan

2.JPG

1.JPG

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Your "Dashboard" should look like this:

sceenshot_10242021_220656.thumb.jpg.af4a9baa78febd4240dc095e5c87556d.jpg

Obviously, this screenshot was taken AFTER I had confirmed my slot.

Do you have any script-blocker in your internet browser? Maybe it is blocking the button?

Stephan Wörmcke
Posted
Posted

NO! Only like this:

image.thumb.png.e1412a090391d91c042d8292b691d1a3.png

And under: http://ctp.vatsim.net/dashboard like this!

image.thumb.png.2fdff67f6a66184dbe1a3df5c653d10e.png

1.JPG

Bernardo Reis
Posted
Posted

To further update pilots on Half Degree Waypoints:

• They will only be used in the following routes:
    • KATL-LOWW
    • KMIA-LOWW
    • KMIA-LFPG
  • The only waypoint to be used will be 4430N03000W (N4430 - pay special attention to make sure you put the N at the beginning).
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator users: The default navigation database does not have N4430. If you wish to fly an airplane that does not support coordinate entry, the Navigraph database contains this waypoints.

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Stephan Wörmcke said:

NO! Only like this:

And under: http://ctp.vatsim.net/dashboard like this!

Then something's wrong with your slot-status/account.

You should definitely see the following menu items on the top right corner of the CTP-website:

sceenshot_10252021_114023.jpg.7f435fcaa3493264700a1b420f3421ba.jpg

@Kieran Hardern & Co, could you please have a look at Stephan's case?

Marin Yang
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Bernardo Reis said:

To further update pilots on Half Degree Waypoints:

• They will only be used in the following routes:
    • KATL-LOWW
    • KMIA-LOWW
    • KMIA-LFPG
  • The only waypoint to be used will be 4430N03000W (N4430 - pay special attention to make sure you put the N at the beginning).
  • Microsoft Flight Simulator users: The default navigation database does not have N4430. If you wish to fly an airplane that does not support coordinate entry, the Navigraph database contains this waypoints.

An additional note here: using a half-degree waypoint in ARINC 424 format (Nxxxx) has been strongly advised against due to its contribution to GNEs. Pilots should instead use the full coordinate format, or "H4430", which is available in at least some navigational databases. Read more about this: https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2020-07-30/html/eAIC/EG-eAIC-2020-060-P-en-GB.html

Marin M. Yang - Director of Project Firmament

EoF Global Ops Center: A One-Stop Community for Long-Haul/Oceanic Flight Planning and Dispatch

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

GNE stands for Gross Navigational Error, just to explain it to other readers who might not know the meaning of it.

To mitigate these errors, waypoints are not simply inserted/loaded in an FMS, but the courses and distances between each and every of them need to be cross-checked against the OFP (operational flight plan), by both pilots, together. This check is then documented on the OFP itself, next to each waypoint that has been confirmed correct.

• Thanks 2

Stephan Wörmcke
Posted
Posted

Hello Andreas,

Thank you for your replay. But the only think I see after Login to my account is this one:

image.thumb.png.429748f6fd2bcc4d12675007709bbaec.png

No Dashborad! No Trading!

I don't want to lose this slot! And with this problem I can't confirm the Slot until 27.Oct

Please help me! Here my Vatsim ID: 1028216

Best Regards

Stephan

Nick Marinov
Posted
Posted

Pinging @Matt Bozwood-Davies once more tonight.

NICK MARINOV
Assistant to the Vice President
Europe, Middle East and Africa
Supervisor Team Leader

## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Bernardo Reis
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Marin Yang said:

An additional note here: using a half-degree waypoint in ARINC 424 format (Nxxxx) has been strongly advised against due to its contribution to GNEs. Pilots should instead use the full coordinate format, or "H4430", which is available in at least some navigational databases. Read more about this: https://www.aurora.nats.co.uk/htmlAIP/Publications/2020-07-30/html/eAIC/EG-eAIC-2020-060-P-en-GB.html

This is correct but the format you talk about (Hxxyy) it's only reflected, in Navigraph anyway, in the Gander and Shanwick Oceanic Areas.

If this trial goes well, that might be a talking point next CTP 👀

• Like 1

• Nick Marinov featured this topic
Nick Marinov
Posted
Posted

We know that there are a lot of members wanting to fly that don’t have a slot. We’ve attempted to combat this with over 1000 slots offered this year, however there are still plenty of pilots without one. We’d really like you all to be able to fly, but we can’t manage this. Therefore we have a request for you. 

If you don't have a slot, we ask that you avoid flying over the North Atlantic during the event period. We simply struggle to accommodate the volume and sporadic nature of such traffic and that unpredictability is the main factor limiting us increasing event slots each event. To add to this, we have a limited number of controllers to work the huge amount of traffic that the real airspace was not designed to take.

If you choose to log on and fly across the ocean despite our request, you can expect a few things:

• Significant delays for your departure - the exact amount that you will be delayed will vary depending on how many people are trying to do the same thing. It is not based on airport capacity, but instead enroute and oceanic capability.
  • A re-route - it is almost guaranteed we will re-route you than leave you on your filed route, therefore don't start programming everything in until it's been confirmed. If you don’t get this re-route on the ground, you’re going to get it in the air, so please know how to work your aircraft in this scenario
  • A sub-optimal level to fly - you will almost certainly be issued FL280, 290 or 300 for your cruise through North America and potentially all the way down the ocean. However once in the oceanic area controllers may climb you IF there is capacity to do so
  • You will not be guaranteed oceanic ATC and in some cases domestic ATC and may spend periods of your flight on unicom

If you choose to log on and fly across the ocean despite our request, we are expecting a few things in return:

• Patience and politeness with controllers during your delay - it might be rather frustrating, but the delay is not based on the airport's capacity (as described above)
  • Planning your flight with sufficient fuel for a sub-optimal level, potentially across the entire route

Thank you for understanding and complying with our request to NOT fly over the Atlantic if you do not have a slot. Domestic ATC will be provided at almost all FIRs on the North American and European side. The planning team asks you to take advantage of this and fly domestic routes on either/both sides of the pond.

• Thanks 2

NICK MARINOV
Supervisor Team Leader

## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

David Brunton
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Nick Marinov said:

We know that there are a lot of members wanting to fly that don’t have a slot. We’ve attempted to combat this with over 1000 slots offered this year, however there are still plenty of pilots without one. We’d really like you all to be able to fly, but we can’t manage this. Therefore we have a request for you. 

If you don't have a slot, we ask that you avoid flying over the North Atlantic during the event period. We simply struggle to accommodate the volume and sporadic nature of such traffic and that unpredictability is the main factor limiting us increasing event slots each event. To add to this, we have a limited number of controllers to work the huge amount of traffic that the real airspace was not designed to take.

If you choose to log on and fly across the ocean despite our request, you can expect a few things:

• Significant delays for your departure - the exact amount that you will be delayed will vary depending on how many people are trying to do the same thing. It is not based on airport capacity, but instead enroute and oceanic capability.
  • A re-route - it is almost guaranteed we will re-route you than leave you on your filed route, therefore don't start programming everything in until it's been confirmed. If you don’t get this re-route on the ground, you’re going to get it in the air, so please know how to work your aircraft in this scenario
  • A sub-optimal level to fly - you will almost certainly be issued FL280, 290 or 300 for your cruise through North America and potentially all the way down the ocean. However once in the oceanic area controllers may climb you IF there is capacity to do so
  • You will not be guaranteed oceanic ATC and in some cases domestic ATC and may spend periods of your flight on unicom

If you choose to log on and fly across the ocean despite our request, we are expecting a few things in return:

• Patience and politeness with controllers during your delay - it might be rather frustrating, but the delay is not based on the airport's capacity (as described above)
  • Planning your flight with sufficient fuel for a sub-optimal level, potentially across the entire route

Thank you for understanding and complying with our request to NOT fly over the Atlantic if you do not have a slot. Domestic ATC will be provided at almost all FIRs on the North American and European side. The planning team asks you to take advantage of this and fly domestic routes on either/both sides of the pond.

I’ve never been given a slot and always make the event I tend to fly slightly lower EG if CTP uses NAT TRACK Y ILL TAKE Z and I tend to fly at back end of dep time so their workload nearly done I’ve always been accommodated by our great ATC teams in both dep and ARR   CTP is just not as fun anymore maybe do more than 2 a year giving more people the chance to fly it could help 

Stephan Wörmcke
Posted
Posted

Hello Nick & Andreas,

unfortunately I still have the same problem! 😞

If I go to    https://ctp.vatsim.net/  I can see only the (Start) page from Vatsim CTP --- But I can´t see my booked flight

If I go to   https://ctp.vatsim.net/dashboard  I get an error message with:  ERROR - You are unable to access that URL at this time --- I can´t see my booked flight

Tomorrow is the 27th Oct. and I would like to confirm my booked slot. I just can´t do this, because of the error message 😞 

Can someone help me please! I´m really desperate about this situation 😞 

My Vatsim ID: 1028216

Thanks and Best Regards

Stephan

Screenshot (12).png

Screenshot (13)_LI.jpg

2.JPG

1.JPG

Marin Yang
Posted
Posted

I am delighted to announce that we are providing a one-stop weather briefing and advisory service to aid flight planning and ATS decision-making before and during the Cross The Pond Eastbound event on Oct. 30, updated daily. You can simply access it here: 

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1bbF-wBEvdMzI3Sepf_FkLjUbxQqpO7on/

Partnered with meteoNautics (meteoNautics.com), this product is an invaluable source for #vatsimctp flight dispatchers. Not only do we brief you on the major weather patterns impacting the event, we also track TAF forecast conditions for event and ETOPS diversion airports down to every hour, and determine the diversion airports' legality based on their dispatch minima so you don't have to do the math yourself.

You are welcome to submit your questions or comments for this product.

Do you have any questions or confusions about ETOPS adequate airports, the dispatch weather minima, or flight planning in general? Please direct your flight planning and dispatch questions to EoF Global Ops Center. We will be happy to assist!

• Thanks 1

Marin M. Yang - Director of Project Firmament

EoF Global Ops Center: A One-Stop Community for Long-Haul/Oceanic Flight Planning and Dispatch

Bernardo Reis
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Marin Yang said:

I am delighted to announce that we are providing a one-stop weather briefing and advisory service to aid flight planning and ATS decision-making before and during the Cross The Pond Eastbound event on Oct. 30, updated daily. You can simply access it here: 

https://docs.google.com/presentation/d/1bbF-wBEvdMzI3Sepf_FkLjUbxQqpO7on/

Partnered with meteoNautics (meteoNautics.com), this product is an invaluable source for #vatsimctp flight dispatchers. Not only do we brief you on the major weather patterns impacting the event, we also track TAF forecast conditions for event and ETOPS diversion airports down to every hour, and determine the diversion airports' legality based on their dispatch minima so you don't have to do the math yourself.

You are welcome to submit your questions or comments for this product.

Do you have any questions or confusions about ETOPS adequate airports, the dispatch weather minima, or flight planning in general? Please direct your flight planning and dispatch questions to EoF Global Ops Center. We will be happy to assist!

So cool! Well done!

• Like 1

Eric Dziura
Posted
Posted

Gentleman,

This will be my 6th or 7th CTP. Without question all aspects of the administration of this latest CTP (for me) are superior to my previous experiences. Thank you for your efforts. Looking forward to Saturday. SOO3470

• Like 1

justinthomas7
Posted
Posted

Is there a maximum time prior to your slot that you can depart? 

Nick Marinov
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, justinthomas7 said:

Is there a maximum time prior to your slot that you can depart? 

TOTs usually have a tolerance of –5 to +10 minutes. However, in our particular situation, ATC can extend the time to suit their needs.

NICK MARINOV
Supervisor Team Leader

## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

Nick Marinov
Posted
Posted (edited)

Bookings will be locked today (Thursday) at 2100 UTC. After this point you will not be able to book, release or edit any bookings.

Edited by Nick Marinov

NICK MARINOV
Supervisor Team Leader

## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted
38 minutes ago, Nick Marinov said:

Bookings will be locked today (Thursday) at 2100 UTC. After this point you will not be able to book, release or edit any bookings.

Has Sephan's problem been solved?

Nick Marinov
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Andreas Fuchs said:

Has Sephan's problem been solved?

All reported problems have been addressed with those who reported it via email/pm.

NICK MARINOV
Supervisor Team Leader

## [email protected]
VATSIM Logo

• Nick Marinov unpinned this topic
  • Nick Marinov locked this topic