You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

The funniest things you have ever heard while controlling.

Jake Sims 1158411

Matthew Montgomery 1035148
Posted
Posted

I'm pretty sure I heard this guy check in on freq with IAD_APP when you logged off. His check in alluded to what you were talking about, which was pretty sad. Further evidence that the AF1 callsign will be permanently [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with noob.

AF1 shall be permanently [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with noobs because the correct callsign is A1

Matthew Montgomery

ZOB ARTCC

Staff Mentor

[email protected]

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

• Don Desfosse

• Thimo Koolen

• Ross Carlson

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262 36 posts

• Don Desfosse

Don Desfosse 24 posts

• Thimo Koolen

Thimo Koolen 19 posts

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 16 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 19 2011

25 posts

• Oct 12 2011

15 posts

• Nov 20 2011

14 posts

• Oct 11 2011

14 posts

Popular Posts

Matthew McEwen

"Tower, g'day, Clipper 811, international car park level 3 bay 14, request taxi" During a quiet evening on Sydney Tower.

Dace Nicmane

It happened to me recently that I couldn't vacate the runway and couldn't figure out why. It turned out I'd landed without gear. The controller had sent me a .contactme on final and distracted me. It

Luka Stevens

meanwhile on Belux Vacc OO-BET: approach this is OO-BET declearing an emergency, engine failure. APPROACH: roger emergency services are on the way to your currect position OO-BET: ooo there's a fie

Arthur Heiser 1052801
Posted
Posted (edited)
AF1 shall be permanently [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with noobs because the correct callsign is A1

I believe you may be the noob in this case, Matt.

TBL 2-3-8

President and Family

Service President Family

Air Force AF1 EXEC1F

Marine VM1 EXEC1F

Navy VV1 EXEC1F

Army RR1 EXEC1F

Coast Guard C1 EXEC1F

Guard G1 EXEC1F

Commercial EXEC1 EXEC1F

Edited by Guest

5989571862_77e7162889_m.jpg

AJ Heiser

Senior Controller, ZLA ARTCC

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." ~ Jim Horning

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

I'm pretty sure I heard this guy check in on freq with IAD_APP when you logged off. His check in alluded to what you were talking about, which was pretty sad. Further evidence that the AF1 callsign will be permanently [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with noob.

AF1 is used. At least, that's how their strips popped out when AF1 was at my facility and how it appeared on the TDW in the air.

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

I have to concur, I've heard from a number of real world sources that AF1 is, in fact, the correct callsign to be used. It has something to do with the fact that Host doesn't recognize aircraft call signs less than 3 characters. Maybe some real world sources can comment on this.

I do, however, concur that most people flying AF1 are... Well... Not a welcomed sight or pleasant experience on frequency for the most part.

I HAVE seen some of the VUSAF guys actually file it with the aircraft type VC25 (the aircraft code for the type of Boeing 747 model that transports the President) with great flight plans that have been a pleasure to work... That's few and far between, however.

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

James White
Posted
Posted

It is AF1.

Here is the ATS FP I found a while ago from what looks like a Eurocat screen.

2cr4uu0.jpg

Kind Regards,

James White 1054550

VATPAC C1 ENR Controller

2168683.png

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

Interestingly enough, you'll notice that they file as a B742. In fact, I checked, VC25 is actually not recognized by ICAO Doc 8643.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Arthur Heiser 1052801
Posted
Posted
Interestingly enough, you'll notice that they file as a B742. In fact, I checked, VC25 is actually not recognized by ICAO Doc 8643.

Looks like we're deviating a bit from the OP's intentions for this topic. Let's try and get back on track.

5989571862_77e7162889_m.jpg

AJ Heiser

Senior Controller, ZLA ARTCC

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." ~ Jim Horning

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

There have definitely been some funny things over the years...

This first one was not me, but one of my fellow controllers when I first started at ZDC:

Pilot: Dee Cee center, American XXX, with you at DCA request clearance.

Controller: Aircraft calling, confirm you were calling WASHINGTON Center...

Pilot: We don't see him online, switching to UNICOM, good day.

The rest are me:

Me: SWA1234, reduce speed to 170 knots, then descent and maintain 2000.

Pilot: Unable.

Me: SWA1234, turn right heading 090, climb and maintain 5000. Cleared direct SWANN, hold NW with 1 minute legs, expect further clearance time 2100 zulu.

Pilot: Roger, 170 knots, then down to 2000, SWA1234

Pilot: Sir, we're requesting higher.

Me: AAL512, unable for noise abatement.

Pilot: Why would noise be a factor if we're climbing higher?

Me: AAL512, have you ever heard the noise a 737 makes when it hits a 757? Apparently it's loud and the residents of Northern Virginia don't like it.

After a pilot landed long on runway 33L at BWI...

Me: SWA620, welcome to Baltimore, make a right there on Airport Loop Blvd, bring that around until you see the ramp for I-195, hop on that and take it around to the airport, they should see you coming and open the gate for you. After that, taxi via P to the gate.

Pilot disconnects.

JM

Steven Bartlett 1106450
Posted
Posted

I have a couple.

Working Denver Tower:

Me: PAYXXX wind 240@9, RWY 25 clear for take off

PAYXXX: Clear for takeoff RWY 25

2 minutes later:

PAYXXX: Denver Tower, we are going down

Me: Emergency services on the way

PAYXXX: Bring lots and I do mean Lots of Body bags

Seattle Approach:

Me: FFTXXX turn right heading 140

FFTXXX: right one four thousand, FFTXXX

Steve Bartlett

ZKC_SB

C1/Mentor

vUALC1.jpg

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

On Cardiff Approach I have had a few good ones.

Me....123 turn left 210

pilot turn right 030

ME *&%$£**** (in my head)

Me ...... p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] your message

Pilot... Good Morning Sir I am a PA 28 at 2500, 140kts inbound to you from Kemble with 2 POB, I intend to approach Cardiff from the north and request 4 VFR circuits and then a departure to the south, I have some odd noise from the engine but it is not an emergency, my wife has a cold so I may leave the cockpit for a moment,

Me.... (yawn)

Pilot.... after my departure to the south I will be vfr to Minehead for some general VFR handling to the south blah bla bl;ah blah

Me... Say again sir you was stamped on (tee hee)

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Stuart Redman 1175199
Posted
Posted
Me... Say again sir you was stamped on (tee hee)

This and the one about the little fokker made me LOL.

Sig.jpg

Michal Majerczuk
Posted
Posted

Thats my conversation when I was flighting from Krakow to I think so Stansted

Me.: Krakow Tower good evening low as the landing field(Its sound bit diffrent in Polish language) Ryanair three two Alfa Wizki request clearence to our destination London Stansted

Tower.:Ryanair three two alfa wizki you are clear to your destination Stansted as field runway 25 in use after departure continule straight ahead as an bullet shoot initialy climb to 4000ft and them we would see what next

That one was when I was flighing from Berlin Tengel to Brize Norton some pilot said

over the LON_SC_CTR freq

Pilot.: London Control thanks for fu%##@^# my whole flight bye bye

LON_SC_CTR no reaction

Pilot Disconnect

That haven't been me

I hope it haven't been so boaring :p

VATCAN Controller | CZVR Home Controller
Formerly VATEUD ATC Department Lead
PID/CID 1091056

Jake Sims 1158411
Posted
Posted
Thats my conversation when I was flighting from Krakow to I think so Stansted

Pilot.: London Control thanks for fu%##@^# my whole flight bye bye

LON_SC_CTR no reaction

Pilot Disconnect

Almost fell out of my seat laughing on that one!

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Pilot: Boston Center, UALxxx, 9000 for 14000.

BOS_CTR: United xxx, Boston Center, good evening. Climb and maintain FL320, proceed direct SSOXS.

Pilot: Up to 320, but can't go to SSOXS. I'm a Yankees fan.

BOS_CTR: United xxx, alright... Prepare to copy holding instructions.

Pilot: Direct SSOXS, United xxx

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Michal Majerczuk
Posted
Posted

That's my small conversation with pilot which get lost in flight from Glasgow to London Stansted

I was on Ground that night

Pilot turn on my frequency

Pilot.: Stansted Ground goodevening BAW123 with you at FL350 holding over XXX(Don't remember) we are currently over Manchester and ee...... we are completely lost is there any chance that you can direct us towards the airport....

Me.: Goodevening BAW123 Stansted Ground..... hmm...... because there is no London Control online or any other radar in your range the best think what you can do is head towards south where you should flight over the London Heatrow or other bigger airport

Pilot.:Roger will head south and will report you when flight over any bigger airport

Me.: BAW123 Correct for now switch to UNICOM 122.800 and continue own navigation cya !

Pilot.: 122.80 bye BAW123

50 minutes later

Pilot.: Stansted Ground its me again BAW123 hmmm..... I'm flight over a sea still heading towards south my plane show me that I have 20 nautical miles towards LFPG.. do you know what airport is that..?

Me.: BAW123 for your own information you are entering the France airspace.. and the LFPG is Charles de Gueal (Don't know how to spell it ) airport please stand by ...

I saw that there is an supervisor online on observator I wrote to him that the BAW123 is lost and he should flight to Stansted but he is currently over France can he help me...

Supervisor.:Hmm... so BAW123 should flight to Stansted but he is over Paris is that correct..?

Me.: Yeap

Supervisor.o you have any clue why this happend...?

Me.: hmm.... he contact me when he was over Manchester and he told me that he is lost I told him to flight south till he will flight over any bigger airport

Supervisor.: hmm..... heh.... today pilots... stand by please..

Pilot Dissconect

Supervisor.: He should be alright now

Me.: Ehh..... okay...

Supervisor.: have a nice night and if you need my help in somethink else just write to me

Me.: Roger thanks cya

That was like at 2:00Z or 3:00Z a year ago but I'm going to remember that for pretty long time

PID/CID 1091056

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

good example of what not to do for both controllers and pilots.

in the future, just say you cant help since you are on ground and recommend they ask for help from a supervisor or another pilot or even use the map in their sim. youll just confuse the already lost pilot by telling them to head south

Michal Majerczuk
Posted
Posted

in the future, just say you cant help since you are on ground and recommend they ask for help from a supervisor or another pilot or even use the map in their sim. youll just confuse the already lost pilot by telling them to head south

But we was all time talking on privat and he told me that he will direct towards Stansted with the VORs and Radials so he wouldn't actually have to head south all the time but yeah.. I think you are wright

PID/CID 1091056

Justin A. Martin
Posted
Posted

I think we should try to keep this post on topic and avoid correcting controllers & pilots alike... instead just enjoy the funny situations that are posted. Shouldn't be too hard...

JM

Michal Majerczuk
Posted
Posted

I think we should try to keep this post on topic and avoid correcting controllers & pilots alike... instead just enjoy the funny situations that are posted. Shouldn't be too hard...

JM

No problem for me if this would help the newbies and pretty old controllers like me

PID/CID 1091056

Adam Wolken 1093046
Posted
Posted

Had an interesting one while working ORD_TWR last night.

(I'm leaving the callsign out so as to not ember[Mod - Happy Thoughts] this person)

N12345: O'hare Tower, N12345 looking for clearance to Kennedy with information Alpha.

ORD_TWR: N12345, O'hare I am unfamiliar with the aircraft type that you listed could you please let me know what kind of plane you are in?

N12345: N12345 is a Star Wars X-Wing Fighter Jet*

ORD_TWR: (holding back laughter) rgr

*He filed his aircraft type as B/HURI/Q (supposedly Star War's technology has advanced FMC navigation?...sweet )

In short, I quickly .walloped the guy (something along the lines of "Luke Skywalker is looking for clearance from Chicago") and had it taken care of. It was a pretty interesting situation the entire way around because this guy was so serious that he wanted to fly in his plane.......I guess to each his own?

ZAU S2 Controller

Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

Adam

Should let him take off, and see if he could qctually fly like a normal plane

Hmm,

/me thinks he should take the blimp or sr71 out

Warning: SR71 will bust 250kts on take off

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

(Disclaimer: the post above does not necessarily express the opinion or stance of ZAU or ZAUs training program, this view is made by me and me alone)

7664.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

experimental

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted

Just like my good old Bird and paper airplane.

2vuh2cx.gif

Frank Otero
Posted
Posted

At least he called you with the ATIS and seemed, based on your transcript, to know what he was doing, but we will never know for sure because you rat him out

1092537.png