You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

The funniest things you have ever heard while controlling.

Jake Sims 1158411

Jake Sims 1158411
Posted
Posted
Told a guy after he landed at KMCO to not forget to check out the discount programs at Disney World

Laughed out loud on that one

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

• Don Desfosse

• Thimo Koolen

• Ross Carlson

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262 36 posts

• Don Desfosse

Don Desfosse 24 posts

• Thimo Koolen

Thimo Koolen 19 posts

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 16 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 19 2011

25 posts

• Oct 12 2011

15 posts

• Nov 20 2011

14 posts

• Oct 11 2011

14 posts

Popular Posts

Matthew McEwen

"Tower, g'day, Clipper 811, international car park level 3 bay 14, request taxi" During a quiet evening on Sydney Tower.

Dace Nicmane

It happened to me recently that I couldn't vacate the runway and couldn't figure out why. It turned out I'd landed without gear. The controller had sent me a .contactme on final and distracted me. It

Luka Stevens

meanwhile on Belux Vacc OO-BET: approach this is OO-BET declearing an emergency, engine failure. APPROACH: roger emergency services are on the way to your currect position OO-BET: ooo there's a fie

• Board of Governors
Nicholas Cavacini
Posted
Posted
I'll never forget this one. This was a text pilot.

Ken Bambach: Calsign, say a/c type.

Pilot: Miami Center, say again!

Ken Bambach: Callsign, what type of a/c are you flying, sir?

Pilot: Miami Center, I don't understand sir! My air conditioner is turned off!

This is my favorite. The best is when text pilots what you to repeat yourself.

Actually Sal, I think the Pilot said that he didn't have an air conditioner onboard. Still a great one though. XD

I also remember I heard this one from a while back.

Keep in mind this is all text.

ATC: AAL123 Descend and Maintain 16,000 Miami Altimeter 29.92

Pilot: Say Again

ATC: Read Again.

Nick
Vice President - Supervisors
VATSIM Board of Governors

Contact the Supervisor Team | Could you be a Supervisor?

Vatsim-color-tagline.png.afe5bb8b98897d00926a882be4e2059c.png

Unless otherwise stated, opinions are my own and not representative of the official opinion of the VATSIM Board of Governors

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Keep in mind this is all text.

ATC: AAL123 Descend and Maintain 16,000 Miami Altimeter 29.92

Pilot: Say Again

ATC: Read Again.

Hah ... I had a similar thing happen, but instead of "read again" I said "scroll up."

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Wycliffe Barrett
Posted
Posted

This is why we love text pilots so much.

This was one I had recently all on txt.

ATC. XXXX turn left 270 close the localiser when established descend on the glideslope

pilot, xxxxx TR 270 .......... er pardon

ATC silently under my breath DOH!

Wycliffe Barrett: C3 Controller

atc5o.png

"if god meant for us to fly, he would have given us tickets" Mel Brooks

Salvatore Barcia 1055319
Posted
Posted

Hah ... I had a similar thing happen, but instead of "read again" I said "scroll up."

haha

Salvatore Barcia - 1055319
Cross the Gulf President
Miami ARTCC C1- United States Division

JOHN WHITE
Posted
Posted

Me: ABC123, you are taxing the wrong way, make a 180 and the runway you want is at the other end.

Pilot: Oh god that was dumb, i was following the AI sorry

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted
Me: ABC123, you are taxing the wrong way, make a 180 and the runway you want is at the other end.

Pilot: Oh god that was dumb, i was following the AI sorry

hehe I remember hearing that one

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

William Sequeira 1192651
Posted
Posted

AI?

LOL

I should not laugh though. At new airports, I will have my charts, study them, have them open, and STILL get lost sometimes....

1192651.png

Mark Smith 1119598
Posted
Posted

X-XXXX "Winnipeg CTR this is X-XXXX, would like my decent please." aircraft @ FL240, 250 miles from CYWG

CZWG_CTR "X-XXXX , you are still 250 miles out, you need to descend?"

X-XXXX "Roger CTR, would like 12000."

CZWG_CTR "X-XXXX descend 12,000, closest Altimeter 30.03."

X-XXXX "forget it, I'll stay here, can I use the altimeter though, it looks better."

CZWG_CTR "X-XXX negative, continue using 29.92, but when you get closer I'll see if I can find another altimeter setting that looks good."

sometimes you got to roll with the flow...............

Mark Smith

Vatsim Supervisor

William Sequeira 1192651
Posted
Posted

Have a question if you guys have seen this, as I have a couple times now. I am waiting to get clearence and someone else gets his, but then states that they need xxx rwy, not the one [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned by atc.

Anyone know the reason why someone would "need " a certain rwy? Always wondered why......

1192651.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

could be anything, youll have to ask the pilot why, but theyll sometimes state why. could be faster taxi time, they need more runway then the one given (aircraft requirements can change if they are loaded too heavy), better aligned with the winds if it exceeds their aircrafts limits, etc..

William Sequeira 1192651
Posted
Posted

Holy cow, never even thought to check that info for myself. I always thought just certain rwys were [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned to GA and then AL aircraft. And also winds and such......

1192651.png

Stephen Plumb 1108305
Posted
Posted
Have a question if you guys have seen this, as I have a couple times now. I am waiting to get clearence and someone else gets his, but then states that they need xxx rwy, not the one [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned by atc.

Anyone know the reason why someone would "need " a certain rwy? Always wondered why......

Maybe their intended departure is runway-specific, and they don't want to reprogram their FMC.

Michael Corcoran 1093752
Posted
Posted
Maybe their intended departure is runway-specific, and they don't want to reprogram their FMC.

Yes, one that comes to mind are the RNAV Departures at KBOS. Had a situation like this last night while flying out of BOS, Controller [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned the SSOXS2 Departure off of runway 27. Well, the issue is, if you look at the chart, the SSOXS2 doesnt exist for runway 27

Michael Corcoran - C1

Denver ARTCC

Mark Wolpert
Posted
Posted

Well it started off with Air Force 2, requesting clearance......

Shortly after takeoff "Air Force Two, declaring emergency, the Vice President has died" (Of course if the VP is dead, whats the rush!!!).

then at about 1000ft, "Air Force Two, rapid decompression" (Nothing like that horrible rapid decompression at 1000ft).

followed by the cl[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ic line that every Air Force Two pilot knows....."Clear all runways for immediate landing"

after landing ...." Need fire trucks, fire on board"

Good Times !!!! that sadly ended when he logged off before .wallop had any effect.

Mark.

847924.png

John Muenster 1149119
Posted
Posted

Mark I think most of us have experienced a very similar situation somewhere along the line. Although I must give kudos for originality... AirForce 2 and the VP, not AF1 and the prez?

To go back a few posts, just the other night I had a text pilot ask me to say again. my response, "..." My guess is that whatever pilot client they use the words disappear after a certain time, and since they're paying such dilligent attention to actually flying their plane... oh wait thats not it either.

John Muenster (MR) - Minneapolis ARTCC

Unless expressly written, my comments in no way reflect the opinions of any ARTCC I am affiliated with, they are personal opinions only.

Matthew Spencer
Posted
Posted
Mark I think most of us have experienced a very similar situation somewhere along the line. Although I must give kudos for originality... AirForce 2 and the VP, not AF1 and the prez?

To go back a few posts, just the other night I had a text pilot ask me to say again. my response, "..." My guess is that whatever pilot client they use the words disappear after a certain time, and since they're paying such dilligent attention to actually flying their plane... oh wait thats not it either.

Yes, they watch the text scroll across in the FS message crawler at the top.

But, obviously, trying to read and copy an IFR clearance on the equivalent of a Wall Street ticker is ridiculously stupid. Which is why they don't bother, and have you resend it again. And again. And again.

Regards,

Matthew Spencer (SP)

vZBW Training Administrator emeritus

1088911.png

John Muenster 1149119
Posted
Posted

I don't know how it is in FS, but with XSquawkbox for X-Plane the text box appears for some set amount time (I think its user definable? No clue, I never use text). After it goes away you can hit tab to bring it back, which I guess you wouldn't know if you didn't read any docomeentation.

John Muenster (MR) - Minneapolis ARTCC

Unless expressly written, my comments in no way reflect the opinions of any ARTCC I am affiliated with, they are personal opinions only.

Bradford Lee
Posted
Posted

Yes, they watch the text scroll across in the FS message crawler at the top.

But, obviously, trying to read and copy an IFR clearance on the equivalent of a Wall Street ticker is ridiculously stupid. Which is why they don't bother, and have you resend it again. And again. And again.

Which is why I use FSINN, among other reasons.

As for the thing with Air Force 2, as a dispatcher and a CAP communications instructor, "died" or "dead" or even "fatality" is one of those BIG no-no words you don't want to say over the radio, be it military, public safety, or aviation. At least in a situation like that. Now expressing condolances, etc., sure, but not with an ongoing incident such as that. He should have at least advised "medical emergency" or something.

But now I'm forgetting about the pilot in question, aren't I? Did he at least recycle to 7700 to annoy you and every other controller for 100 miles?

Brad Lee

spacer.png

ZJX ARTCC

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
…As for the thing with Air Force 2, as a dispatcher and a CAP communications instructor, "died" or "dead" or even "fatality" is one of those BIG no-no words you don't want to say over the radio…

How about "The Vice President is on the roof, and he won't come down?"

Sorry, a bit obscure I know, but maybe someone will get it!

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

I love when a question is asked and the aircraft come back with "roger."

"Airline 123, Farmington weather reporting wind calm, skies clear, altimeter 3022. Would you like a visual or ILS approach to Runway 25?"

"Roger."

"Airline 123, negative, do you want the visual approach or the ILS approach."

"Oh..."

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
I love when a question is asked and the aircraft come back with "roger."

"Airline 123, Farmington weather reporting wind calm, skies clear, altimeter 3022. Would you like a visual or ILS approach to Runway 25?"

"Roger."

"Airline 123, negative, do you want the visual approach or the ILS approach."

"Oh..."

Did you just answer a "roger" with a "negative"? Almost as bad. (Okay, not really anywhere near as bad, but I found it a bit ironic.)

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

What I mean by that is "No, that's not the right answer. Please try again." And then I re-state the question.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
What I mean by that is "No, that's not the right answer. Please try again." And then I re-state the question.

If you know the right answer, why ask the question?

Best to omit the "negative" and just re-state the question. But your point is totally well taken. Roll on the pilot training material, and roll on the day when at least the basic level is mandatory…

(hurriedly ducks below the parapet)

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

(sigh)...you guys