You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

The funniest things you have ever heard while controlling.

Jake Sims 1158411

Matthew Jessick 1179517
Posted
Posted

I was LOL-ing along about the text pilots requesting a repeat a few posts ago, then tonight had a text pilot ask whether I had missed his readback. Oops: And there it was... scrolled off the top three extra lines because of my having repeated the clearance to the wrong pilot, correcting, and resending.

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

• Don Desfosse

• Thimo Koolen

• Ross Carlson

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262 36 posts

• Don Desfosse

Don Desfosse 24 posts

• Thimo Koolen

Thimo Koolen 19 posts

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 16 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 19 2011

25 posts

• Oct 12 2011

15 posts

• Nov 20 2011

14 posts

• Oct 11 2011

14 posts

Popular Posts

Matthew McEwen

"Tower, g'day, Clipper 811, international car park level 3 bay 14, request taxi" During a quiet evening on Sydney Tower.

Dace Nicmane

It happened to me recently that I couldn't vacate the runway and couldn't figure out why. It turned out I'd landed without gear. The controller had sent me a .contactme on final and distracted me. It

Luka Stevens

meanwhile on Belux Vacc OO-BET: approach this is OO-BET declearing an emergency, engine failure. APPROACH: roger emergency services are on the way to your currect position OO-BET: ooo there's a fie

Adam Vianna 1159285
Posted
Posted

One day, I was controlling ground at New York's Kennedy airport and a new pilot had a bad mic. He PM'ed me asking for my phone number because he saw all those youtube videos with the sound clips in which the controller gives the pilot who screwed up a phone number for when he was at the gate :

pilot: " I'm sorry. I have a bad mic. What's your phone number?"

Me: "Why?"

Pilot: "I figured I should call to explain what went wrong like in all those videos online where the pilot is given a phone number to call."

Me: "..."

I lol'ed and PM'ed him that he probably didn't want to pay for international calls (his home base was Zurich). This was also a pilot who was very receptive when I pointed him to the PRC and the VATEUD site so he made my day in more ways than one (I had been waiting for a pilot like this one).

William Sequeira 1192651
Posted
Posted

Just saw this on Uni.

Pilot : KATL traffic, descending to RWY 08.

That was it for like 10 minutes, then.

"Cleared RWY "

1192651.png

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
Just saw this on Uni.

Pilot : KATL traffic, descending to RWY 08.

That was it for like 10 minutes, then.

"Cleared RWY "

Good thing the policies only require monitoring UNICOM and not transmitting on.

William Sequeira 1192651
Posted
Posted

True.

Didn't mean to come off as if He was in the wrong. I just thought it was funny, as His info really gave no info...lol

1192651.png

JOHN WHITE
Posted
Posted

That is just about as good as, KLAX traffic, UALXXX on a 150 mile final for runway 25L.

Regards,

-John

William Sequeira 1192651
Posted
Posted
That is just about as good as, KLAX traffic, UALXXX on a 150 mile final for runway 25L.

Regards,

-John

Straight shooter there....lol

1192651.png

Miguel Frias
Posted
Posted

That's just to ensure a straight in approach. A close approach could render a go around.

Miguel Frias

Senior Instructor (I3) & Certified Pilot (P4), ZLA I-11 graduate

Portugal vACC Training Director (ACCPT2), VATEUD Operations Director (VATEUD8)

Portugal vACC, VATEUD, VATSIM

1107190.png1107190.png

Stephen Plumb 1108305
Posted
Posted

Regards,

-John

Now THAT is a stabilized approach! Get her slowed down & trimmed out at, say, FL390.

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

Uh oh, the transponder code stuff up strikes again!

Just minutes ago at Worldflight...

"Uhh, for some reason there is no eight on my transponder"

** fit of laugh from the controller **

David Zhong

Sava  Markovic 1109329
Posted
Posted

Not so funny but I will post it.

Yesterday:

Me: ABC123, turn left heading 090 degrees, cleared ILS approach runway 12, report established.

ABC123: 090

(after a minute or so)

ABC123: ILS localized

Sava Markovic

SCGvACC Events Coordinator

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

A Hawaiian aircraft is sandwiched between two 747s, all on the same airway.

ATC: "They're trying to make pineapple juice out of you!"

David Zhong

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

Arthur Melton
Posted
Posted

Have you noticed that the controller in fs9 never argues with the pilot when off line. Happy days,art

Darrol Larrok 1140797
Posted
Posted
Have you noticed that the controller in fs9 never argues with the pilot when off line. Happy days,art

sig.php?pilot=1199&type=101

Andrew Wolcott 814793
Posted
Posted

Nope, they just do what any good VATSIM controller should do when the argumentative pilot is incapable of following ATC instructions...

"Global 123, IFR flight plan is canceled, radar service terminated. Squawk 1200. Maintain VFR. Frequency change approved."

nmvx9d-2.png

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Nope, they just do what any good VATSIM controller should do when the argumentative pilot is incapable of following ATC instructions...

"Global 123, IFR flight plan is canceled, radar service terminated. Squawk 1200. Maintain VFR. Frequency change approved."

Nah...

"Global 123, cease further radio communications and stand by for a supervisor."

Wim Sjoholm 1133704
Posted
Posted

Its probably more like "Global 123, I want you to call this phone number when you have landed"

Somehow rated s3

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
Its probably more like "Global 123, I want you to call this phone number when you have landed"

Happened to me once in RW. Wasn't at all funny, especially since it happened while I was sitting an instructor rating renewal test…

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Adam Vianna 1159285
Posted
Posted

Happened to me once in RW. Wasn't at all funny, especially since it happened while I was sitting an instructor rating renewal test…

Ouch.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

Ouch.

Well, it wasn't too bad. We were in the circuit at Glasgow International, Scotland, and he wanted me to give him an EFATO (engine failure after takeoff), as I would do with an advanced student. It was rwy 23, and the local rule there is that you need to have begun the go-around following the EFATO before becoming abeam the Loganair hangar (which is no longer there, by the way).

But he was God and I was a lowly instructor and he wanted to mess about with doing some wrong stuff to see if I noticed, so I, er, kind of lost situational awareness and allowed He Who Must Be Obeyed to drift on past the go-around point.

Well, once the ATC "call me" message arrived, I explained to Him what had just happened, and he was OK about it. I p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed. And ATC were pretty good about it too, actually.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Matthew Bucholski 1023183
Posted
Posted

Newbie with no established radio contact flies into CTR making APP unhappy (possible near miss with an IFR on short final). He finally calls in, gets his clearance, stays on the frequency for maybe a minute before leaving our zone.

(Originally in Polish)

TWR: You gentlemen are leaving my airspace, monitor approach on frequency 123.450. Good night.

Pilot: Okay, roger. Leaving your airspace, monitor approach on 123.450. By the way, you called us gentlemen in plural. Is there any problem with my connection? Am I displayed twice or something?

Had to explain him that this is a common habit in Polish aviation phraseology. Caused a good chuckle on the freq.

3712.png

Michal Majerczuk
Posted
Posted
Newbie with no established radio contact flies into CTR making APP unhappy (possible near miss with an IFR on short final). He finally calls in, gets his clearance, stays on the frequency for maybe a minute before leaving our zone.

(Originally in Polish)

TWR: You gentlemen are leaving my airspace, monitor approach on frequency 123.450. Good night.

Pilot: Okay, roger. Leaving your airspace, monitor approach on 123.450. By the way, you called us gentlemen in plural. Is there any problem with my connection? Am I displayed twice or something?

Had to explain him that this is a common habit in Polish aviation phraseology. Caused a good chuckle on the freq.

I heard that I was just doing VFR Circuits over Warsaw

VATCAN Controller | CZVR Home Controller
Formerly VATEUD ATC Department Lead
PID/CID 1091056

• 2 weeks later...
John-Alan Pascoe 1173839
Posted
Posted

Well I'm not a controller, but yesterday on the PHNL unicom I heard (well, read really): ": On the download for overhead approach runway 08L". Since it was a C17 I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming an 'overhead approach' is a military thing (if not, please educate me), but I doubt it has a 'download' leg.

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
Well I'm not a controller, but yesterday on the PHNL unicom I heard (well, read really): ": On the download for overhead approach runway 08L". Since it was a C17 I'm [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming an 'overhead approach' is a military thing (if not, please educate me), but I doubt it has a 'download' leg.

An overhead break puts the aircraft into a downwind from over the runway numbers, midfield or departure end depending on if a controller tells them to break at a specific point or where the pilot chooses to break. But it is one that is usually approached from near the final approach course, so don't know what exactly that guy was doing.