You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Getting started in ATC

Ruth McTighe 824054

Christopher Siegrist 11038
Posted
Posted

would like to but somehow i hardly understand other pilots

462.png

Make yourself an honest man, and then you may be sure that there is one rascal less in the world. Thomas Carlyle (1795 - 1881)

• 4 weeks later...
  • Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruth McTighe 824054

• Levi Duroy 981416

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

• Lakhbir Singh 936840

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruth McTighe 824054

Ruth McTighe 824054 18 posts

• Levi Duroy 981416

Levi Duroy 981416 13 posts

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262 11 posts

• Lakhbir Singh 936840

Lakhbir Singh 936840 8 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 20 2007

10 posts

• Oct 14 2007

9 posts

• Nov 29 2010

9 posts

• Feb 3 2007

8 posts

Matthew Ford 1105852
Posted
Posted

Hi there,

I want to be a controller on VATSIM but only want to do ground control first. Im still learning reading chards but nearly fully understand ground chats with some extra training. Can you do ground control only. And is there a way to observe a controller without registering wit atc yet.

Thanks

Michael Hess 1046854
Posted
Posted

Once you complete training, you will be promoted to S1. That means you can control any position as either Clearance Delivery, Ground, or Tower. So, even though you'll be able to control tower, you don't have to. Knock yourself out.

As for observing, all you need to do is download one of the clients George mentioned, and log on as "[ARTCC identifier]_OBS." If you're observing in Minneapolis, for example, you'd log on as "ZMP_OBS." If at Los Angeles, you would log on as "ZLA_OBS." Now this is all [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you're in VATUSA; I believe it is similar in other parts of the world. (EGTT_OBS)

-Cheers!

Michael Hess

ZMP Webmaster

Matthew Ford 1105852
Posted
Posted

Ok thanks for your help. Which one do i need. There about 4-5 different ones?

Michael Hess 1046854
Posted
Posted

Well, it depends. ASRC is modeled after US radar systems, Euroscope after European radar systems, and VRC after US radar systems, but built for milti-monitor setups. Just pick the one that suits you best.

-Cheers!

Michael Hess

ZMP Webmaster

Matthew Ford 1105852
Posted
Posted

How do i connect in VRC. I now have it installed.

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted
How do i connect in VRC. I now have it installed.

You'll find all the instructions in the VRC docomeentation at http://www.metacraft.com/VRC/docomeentation.shtml

Try the Observers Guide to start with as that [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umes you don't know anything about VRC or ATC before you start.

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Ryder Presnell 1102891
Posted
Posted

Hello, I signed with Anchorage ARTCC a couple of days ago and need help in basically everything. I'm available just about the whole day today and tomorrow. around noon I'm doing some errands for my house.

Michael Hess 1046854
Posted
Posted

You should probably post in ZAN's forums about getting help. (ha-ha-ha)

-Cheers!

Michael Hess

ZMP Webmaster

Chad Donoghue 1073950
Posted
Posted

Hello im looking for atc training but i cant get onto uk site as its down. Please help me as i want to join atc. Thanks

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted
Hello im looking for atc training but i cant get onto uk site as its down. Please help me as i want to join atc. Thanks

If you want to join the UK you'll need to wait until the site comes back, as all the information and facitilities are on that site. In the meantime, logon as an observer in the UK watch and talk to the UK controllers, and you'll start to pick up what is going on

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

• 3 weeks later...
Leonardo Lua 1074739
Posted
Posted

HEY GUYS I HOPE YOU ARE HAVING A GREAT DAY,

I AM AN ATC AND, UNFORTUNATELY I FORMATED MY COMPUTER, AND I HAVE BEEN TRYING AND TRAYING TO DOWNLOAD

Advanced Simulated Radar Client 1.2

ASRC Configurator v3.0

Virtual Radar Client

BUT THE LINK IS BROKEN IS THERE ANY WAY FOR ME TO DOWNLOAD IT?

Michael Hess 1046854
Posted
Posted

VRC can be found here: http://www.metacraft.com/VRC/download.shtml.

I don't think ASRC is available anymore...

-Cheers!

Michael Hess

ZMP Webmaster

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

sure it is, altho it was on the avsim library

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted

I'm sure Mike know where to download a copy of ASRC and as far as I know, there are other websites that have it on their downloads... have a search and see what you can find, I'm sure there's something out there.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

• 1 month later...
Ryan Hakim 1123317
Posted
Posted

hey..i want to become part of the New York ATC but it says i have to sign up at vatusa. When they verify me at vatusa they say my vatsim CID is not valid. Is the vatsim CID what u get from vatsim or do u apply for that seperatly?

Ryan Hakim

VATSIM Supervisor

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted
hey..i want to become part of the New York ATC but it says i have to sign up at vatusa. When they verify me at vatusa they say my vatsim CID is not valid. Is the vatsim CID what u get from vatsim or do u apply for that seperatly?

Hello Sean,

The only CID you will ever receive is your VATSIM ID. Confirm that you are entering your VATSIM ID and VATSIM p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word correctly when you submit the form on the VATUSA website. It appears as if you aren't entering your p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word exactly as you would to sign into the network (don't copy and paste it since you may be getting an extra character at the beginning or end).

If that doesn't work, you can always send me a PM or submit a support ticket on the VATUSA website. I'd be glad to help if you require any further [Mod - Happy Thoughts]istance.

All the best!

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

• 1 month later...
Brendan Stieler 939723
Posted
Posted

ok can some one tell me if I have to download the ATC software to be able to log in just as a observer, I am new to vatsim but have been a member for about 4 years just haven't had the nerve to get in there and have a go. Can some one help me out ?

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted
:oops: ok can some one tell me if I have to download the ATC software to be able to log in just as a observer, I am new to vatsim but have been a member for about 4 years just haven't had the nerve to get in there and have a go. Can some one help me out ?

You can log in to observe traffic using either ATC or pilot software. It depends what you're intending to observe. Can you elaborate? Since you posted in "Getting started in ATC", I will [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you'd like to observe ATC operations and your best bet would be to download an ATC client and connect to the network as an observer.

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Brendan Stieler 939723
Posted
Posted

Yes I am interested in ATC, I have had flight simulator for about 6 years but never tried flying online, But I would like to try online ATC. And can you recommend a good ATC client. Thank you for the response.

Robin van den Honert 10373
Posted
Posted

There are multiple atc clients. 2 are used frequently by most controllers.

Euroscope is the newest with the most options but difficult to master completely. (I still haven't figured everything out)

And VRC. A simpeler version but also with many options.

It depends what your preference is.

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted
There are multiple atc clients. 2 are used frequently by most controllers.

Euroscope is the newest with the most options but difficult to master completely. (I still haven't figured everything out)

And VRC. A simpeler version but also with many options.

It depends what your preference is.

Your choice of radar clients depends most, I think, on if the ARTCC involved has a compatible sector file. Although for observing only it might not make too much of a difference, I think it is just easier to use the radar client that the ARTCC suggests.

If you do end up having a choice of radar clients (that is, the ARTCC supports both EuroScope and VRC sector files), I suggest the following:

• If you are an OBS, an S1, or an S2, use VRC. For certain FIRs outside of the United States, no VRC sector file may be available, so use EuroScope.
  • If you are an S3 or higher, and your ARTCC/FIR provides a EuroScope sector file, and you are already proficient in VRC, use EuroScope.

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Brendan Stieler 939723
Posted
Posted

Do both EuroScope and VRC Have sector files for Australia (YBTL) and if so which one ?

Karl Kornel 964857
Posted
Posted
Do both EuroScope and VRC Have sector files for Australia (YBTL) and if so which one ?

Hmmmmm.... As a US controller, I do not know. However, I do know where you can go to find the answer!

• You can go to the web page for Australia ATC. To find that, you can go to vatsim.net, to the Oceania region (it's way on the right), to VATPAC, and then to For Controllers, and finally to Sector Files!
  • Also, you can try the Australia section of the forums!

A. Karl Kornel - vZID C1, FE, and Mentor

Smoke Bomb! POOF

Brendan Stieler 939723
Posted
Posted

Hi Karl, I downloaded VRC client and used the links you posted on your last post for the sector files, it took me 2 days to work out the sector files or if you will how to use them. Now I'm having trouble trying to listening in, I now I don't have it right on the comm panel, vox server ? vox channel ?. What do I put in there? or is there some where to download files for comms.

If anyone can help, it would be good