You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Unacceptable sudden volume increase

Jason Cochran

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

Have had this issue since the last time the did some updates on the voice server. Not often but while connected to an active ATC frequency. My ATC client is vPilot but I don't believe it is the cause of the problem.

• Like 1

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

• Replies 107
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nestor Perez

• Yanick Coulombe 965064

• Robert Shearman Jr

• Samuel Rey

Top Posters In This Topic

• Nestor Perez

Nestor Perez 24 posts

• Yanick Coulombe 965064

Yanick Coulombe 965064 16 posts

• Robert Shearman Jr

Robert Shearman Jr 7 posts

• Samuel Rey

Samuel Rey 6 posts

Popular Days

• May 12 2020

12 posts

• Apr 14 2020

8 posts

• Oct 2 2020

8 posts

• Feb 14 2021

6 posts

Popular Posts

Robert Shearman Jr

Nestor, unless there's been a comprehensive poll, I don't agree with your assertion that 5% of VATSIM userbase is experiencing this.  5% may be reporting it, 20% may experience it but see that it's al

Alfredo Mungo

Just saw this post and thought I could drop a +1 for statistical purposes. I've been experiencing this for quite some time now too on Win 10 + xPilot - quite frequent issue. I've become exceptionally

Nestor Perez

I do experience it myself, yes. And the solution was as simple as dragging the volume slider in the client down. It is not 100% users that experience it. It is 100% out of the less than 5% of the

Posted Images

Eran Granola
Posted
Posted

Hello,

Several times I hear noises on the Vatsim new voice server. So I cant understand the speach during the noise. When the ATC or pilot stop talking the voice gone.

This situation is random and not all the time, Sometimes with noise sometims not.

Thank you

• Like 1

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

@Samuel Rey How did it go? Did you try?

Me.

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted

Haven't gotten the issue yet with the setting on -72, so it seems fixed! I'll let you know if anything comes up. The weird thing is that I've barely noticed a difference in the volume, I was expecting it to be quiet but it's actually just like having it on 0

spacer.png

New and want some help? Send me a message on Discord at GoodCrossing#4907!

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Yep, same thing I realized too... will pass it on. If anyone else tries this please let us know if it works for you!

Me.

Joaquin Blanco
Posted
Posted

While on ATC frequency suddenly the voice transmition of either Controller or Pilot will surge at a very loud volume. Haven't managed to find out why this happens. Is there a fix for this available.?

Running on latest official vPilot software.

Joaquin

Best regards

Joaquin Blanco

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Moving to AFV forum.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted (edited)

I can't find the thread now, but there's been some speculation that setting the output above zero contributes to this somehow.  Try lowering it to 0 or a negative value (and boosting the volume via Windows Volume Control or some other method) and see whether it reduces or eliminates the issue. 

EDIT: 

Edited by Robert Shearman Jr

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Samuel Rey
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Robert Shearman Jr said:

[...](and boosting the volume via Windows Volume Control or some other method) and see whether it reduces or eliminates the issue.) [...]

Interestingly enough this might not be needed; for me I didn't notice a difference in volume at all from 0 to -72. Perhaps it has something to do with the issue?

• Like 1

spacer.png

New and want some help? Send me a message on Discord at GoodCrossing#4907!

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Merged the topics

Me.

Nick Botica
Posted
Posted (edited)

Is there something we can do to help?
I've been watching flighdeck2sim's streams (youtuber) and he gets at least 10 per stream over a few hours. He's using xplane, xpilot, windows 10.
He generates a lot of traffic and ATC around him - something to do with that?

He turned off the realistic effects for a while and didn't get any issues. So presumably it's the realistic effects.
If we provide UTC times and call sign this happened to if that useful? I'm guessing you couldn't do a lot of troubleshooting of the server logs if the effects are made by the client? Are there client logs generated with verbose information?

It'd be great to get to the bottom of it - it could honestly cause hearing damage it's so loud.

Edited by Nick Botica
  • Like 1

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted
On 4/21/2020 at 12:01 AM, Nestor Perez said:

Have you tried with it at -72? I still experienced the issue at 0, but not at -72
imagen.png.775509a84077ac0203d2977965feb371.png

Me.

Nick Botica
Posted
Posted
6 minutes ago, Nestor Perez said:

Thanks I'll pass it on

• Thanks 1

Kevin Townsend
Posted
Posted

I started another topic regarding this as it is my belief the level problem is caused by the Realistic Radio Effect.
I don't know how this works buy it must mean some processing in real time!
I am operating without simply to avoid deafening volleys!

Regards

The only time you have too much fuel onboard is when you're on fire!

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Kevin, have you tried the solution suggested above (keep realistic effects on but lower the output volume slider)?  I have mine set at 0 and have had no issues with this.  Some are saying to lower it all the way to -72.

For one, it purportedly works, and might be a way for you to enjoy the realistic radio sounds without getting your eardrums blasted.  For two, it seems like this solution is still speculation and it would be great to get the additional data point from one more user as to whether it actually solves the problem!

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Nick Botica
Posted
Posted (edited)

I passed on the -72 volume suggestion  to flightdeck2sim (YouTube streamer) who was getting them frequently.

He tried -72 and wasn’t getting the ‘audio bombs’ but we did notice the audio was quite varied in volume per person. Some were very quiet (which would make sense as per the name of the control) but some were quite loud.  I’m not sure if this was related to the setting or would have happened regardless. 

But yes, it’s definitely caused by the realistic effects. Disabling this effect eliminated the bug.

I thought it might have been a radio propagation effect when the ATC controllers ‘zip’ around in their software (moving location) while transmitting. This might cause the distance from transmitter to receiver to instantly increase or decrease.  But I noticed it can happen with anyone transmitting, not just ATC. 

Edited by Nick Botica
  • Like 1

Gary Crofield
Posted
Posted (edited)

I have just tried setting output volume to 0 and that hasn't cured the problem. Just heard it while listening to EGKK_GND at 1222Z 8 May, transmission by EGKK_GND to a KLM callsign. Just heard it again as I type this at 1224Z, VIR27X calling for clearance triggered it about 5 seconds into his transmission.

I'll try disabling realistic ATC audio effects and see if that makes a difference.

Edited by Gary Crofield 1443441
  • Like 1

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Have you tried setting it to -72 as has been asked above? This has worked for most -if not all- people until now.

Me.

Gary Crofield
Posted
Posted

Setting it from +14 or so down to 0 has helped hugely although some stations are very quiet. Maybe -72 eliminates the problem altogether.

Yanick Coulombe 965064
Posted
Posted

Hello
This problem DID NOT happen at first, it came with one of the updates.
What happens is that 1/10 of communication are unreadable.
What happen during THOSE is that the audio message starts at 0% volume and increase with time. after 1-3 seconds its at 100% but keeps coming up. After that it continues going up and up and up. Its dangerous for my ears and unreadable, and at some point, the volume is SO HIGH, that the codec just sends silence.
Basically the communication is ONLY readable from second 2 to 4, anything before or after is too weak or too loud.
So people will read back IFR clearances and I would have to wait and wait and wait, and when they are finished(must look at AFV client because at some point its so loud that its just silence), say "say again"(very frustrating). 
Today I disconnected, it was so bad, I kept asking to say again, but the problem would happen AGAIN AND AGAIN, so I said, "Sorry there is a bug in VATSIM Audio, please use text". And then I disconnected because it was too frustrating.
This problem happens often, EVERY TIME I control it happens.
It happens to pilot that I talk to for some time, or not, it just happens randomly to multiple people at random time.
Its game-breaking, I stopped controlling today because I was embarrassed of not being able to hear people on voice sometimes.
I was waiting for a fix, I figured, I must not be the only one, but it seems that way, or I haven't find anybody else with the problem. There is no fix yet and I feel I must report the problem.
The problem is client-side to me because if someone listen to my frequency, they will not hear the problem, only I would hear it, other controllers would say "no, I don't understand, he was completely readable" for the same communication that I would hear the problem, so I think the problem is client-side.
I am on Windows 7 64bit

Thank you

• Like 1

Yanick Coulombe (965064)
Webmaster - FIR de Montréal
[email protected]
fly.czulfir.com

logo-signature_edited.png

Yanick Coulombe 965064
Posted
Posted

A did more research and found this issue is the same (IDK why I didn't find it at first)

• Like 1

Yanick Coulombe (965064)
[email protected]
fly.czulfir.com

Yanick Coulombe 965064
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 10/20/2019 at 11:24 PM, Jason Cochran said:

Another relevant detail: when I asked the pilot what happened, he said he adjusted his microphone gain mid-transmission. I do not know whether that was the cause, nor am I certain of the mechanics of how he adjusted the gain. I'm quite certain that the pilot did not cause this to happen on purpose.

On 10/21/2019 at 2:18 AM, Ivan Duris 1047663 said:

Hello,

in my opinion change gain is not correct procedure without disconnection from Net. I expect this change inside OS, within use Vatsim Net this can be problem. I see correct steps disconnect from AFV, change MIC settings in OS if needed, run AFV and change again MIC settings there and then Connect.

OM-ICO

I did another post for it, sorry for the duplicate.

It is not a pilot problem IMO, because in my research, I found that if somebody listen to the frequency at the same time, they would not hear the problem while I hear it, So IMO it is a client problem on the computer of the person that hears the problem.
Thank you

Edited by Yanick Coulombe 965064
  • Like 1

Yanick Coulombe (965064)
[email protected]
fly.czulfir.com

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

Merged topics

Me.

Nestor Perez
Posted
Posted

@Yanick Coulombe 965064 Have you tested any of the workarounds mentioned above?

Me.

Yanick Coulombe 965064
Posted
Posted
25 minutes ago, Nestor Perez said:

@Yanick Coulombe 965064 Have you tested any of the workarounds mentioned above?

I wanted to, but no atc was in range for me to test.
I will deactivate ATC simulation effect next time I login and cross my finger

Yanick Coulombe (965064)
[email protected]
fly.czulfir.com