You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Model matching in msfs?

Eytan Ofir

Andrew Purdie
Posted
Posted
18 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

Quite likely, the FSLTL team will create the VMR file for you, just like the FLAi team did.

Not likely. There will be no official Vatsim support.

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Luke Carter

• Aake Friman

• Andrew Purdie

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 32 posts

• Luke Carter

Luke Carter 14 posts

• Aake Friman

Aake Friman 11 posts

• Andrew Purdie

Andrew Purdie 6 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 22 2020

11 posts

• Oct 12 2020

7 posts

• Dec 29 2020

6 posts

• Aug 29 2020

6 posts

Popular Posts

Ross Carlson

I will eventually be teaching vPilot how to scan your installed liveries. Right now, it's not fully clear to me how to discover all community add-on liveries and models and how they interact and overr

Diego Vasquez

Thanks and apologies for being extremely specific... gotcha about models, what about liveries?

Matthew Bartels

if the freeware developers create the models and paints then I don't see why not. The issue right now is that the legacy models and paints from FSX P3D do not work with MSFS and thus must be made new.

Posted Images

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
4 minutes ago, Andrew Purdie said:

Not likely. There will be no official Vatsim support.

Why not?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andrew Purdie
Posted
Posted

Because we're trying to get the base package working for Live traffic, then AI. Just as there was no "official" support  from MyTraffic or UT2. There are many issues we're facing while trying to get the models displaying correctly. Many CTDs, wrong liveries, effects, etc. Using the VMR generator would be the simplest way to go about it (one would think) since the traffic isn't doing anything but being available for a particular plane. But the way FS handles traffic now, especially with limited SDK functionality makes things tough. Airline matching as worked fairly well, but correct model matching has been tough.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I don't see how any of that prevents you from generating a VMR file manually and providing it to users. What am I missing?

Tony Liford
Posted
Posted

I'm flying a Beech g36 and I get this error. First flight worked for an hour then disconnected with similar error.  Not really sure what to do. Model matching doesn't do anything. I removed liverys and any mods. My first flight was a TBM . 

Screenshot 2020-10-11 171845.png

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Tony Liford said:

I'm flying a Beech g36 and I get this error. First flight worked for an hour then disconnected with similar error.  Not really sure what to do. Model matching doesn't do anything. I removed liverys and any mods. My first flight was a TBM . 

Screenshot 2020-10-11 171845.png

The default model determines what OTHERS are shown as if a more suitable match cannot be found.  It has nothing to do with what YOU are flying.  The entry there must exactly match what the model is called in the sim's library of aircraft models. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Andrew Purdie
Posted
Posted
On 10/10/2020 at 4:33 PM, Ross Carlson said:

I don't see how any of that prevents you from generating a VMR file manually and providing it to users. What am I missing?

What you're missing is, it is extremely time consuming creating that file from scratch while trying to get the base traffic system working correctly. Why can't the automatic VMR generator that you have integrated into vPilot scan the community folder, or a specified folder to identify planes with isAirTraffic=1? IVAO has seemingly done it with no issues at all. What am I missing?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
7 minutes ago, Andrew Purdie said:

What you're missing is, it is extremely time consuming creating that file from scratch while trying to get the base traffic system working correctly. Why can't the automatic VMR generator that you have integrated into vPilot scan the community folder, or a specified folder to identify planes with isAirTraffic=1? IVAO has seemingly done it with no issues at all. What am I missing?

As I said, I will be teaching vPilot how to scan your system for installed models (not just the community folder) but doing so is going to take time. Certainly it will take far more time than it would take model set developers to generate a text file mapping type codes to their model names.

Unfortunately, it's not just a matter of "scanning the community folder". That folder is potentially in a different location on each user's computer. With FSX and P3D it's very easy to know where all installed models are located, because the configuration file that lists all SimObjects folders is in a fixed, known location on every user's computer. They changed things completely with MSFS and I just need to put in the time to update vPilot accordingly. I don't know yet, but it may be the case that I won't be able to auto-detect all installed models, and I will have to create a new UI where the user can specify the folder(s) where they have models installed. I would really like to avoid that since it would take a lot of the user friendliness and automation of vPilot away.

Do you have a list (CSV, XLS, tab-delimited, anything) of the models included in your set and the type codes and airlines codes that each one corresponds to? If you do, I can take a few minutes and write a script that will generate the VMR file from that list.

Andrew Purdie
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Ross Carlson said:

I don't know yet, but it may be the case that I won't be able to auto-detect all installed models, and I will have to create a new UI where the user can specify the folder(s) where they have models installed.

Thank you for your explanation. That sounds like a good mid term fix. Many users are already neck deep into their UserCFG.opt, Community folders, vegetation configs, etc. Being user friendly is a relatively recent luxury for Simmers, one that I'm sure many would be willing to sacrifice temporarily to enhance their virtual experience.

1 hour ago, Ross Carlson said:

Do you have a list (CSV, XLS, tab-delimited, anything) of the models included in your set and the type codes and airlines codes that each one corresponds to? If you do, I can take a few minutes and write a script that will generate the VMR file from that list.

Unfortunately I don't. I'll ask around though.

Tony Liford
Posted
Posted

I must be missing something cause I believe I did what you said. The exact wording of the aircraft in MSFS2020. Again it works for 20 minutes then get the error. When it worked yesterday it was great, just wish I could use it. Sorry I'm not a computer guy but I thought with the partnership with Asobo this would be a bit easer. 

Thanks for your help,

Tony

Screenshot 2020-10-12 125504.png

Screenshot 2020-10-12 125548.png

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted

I've created one and it's taken AGES and is limited to a few things including the odd invisible jet on Vatsim with MSFS and the fact that we only have 3 airliner types currently

It's free to download but I'm accepting donations as it'll be ongoing work

https://flightsim.to/file/1632/msfs-vpilot-modelmatching

No redistribution allowed - contact me for additions/amendments

Currently working to cover UK/West Europe traffic with liveries currently in circulation then I'll move to USA and Far East/Asia

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted

By the weekend I'll try and get generic GA added too

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
23 hours ago, Tony Liford said:

I must be missing something cause I believe I did what you said. The exact wording of the aircraft in MSFS2020. Again it works for 20 minutes then get the error. When it worked yesterday it was great, just wish I could use it. Sorry I'm not a computer guy but I thought with the partnership with Asobo this would be a bit easer. 

Thanks for your help,

Tony

Screenshot 2020-10-12 125504.png

Screenshot 2020-10-12 125548.png

This is what mine looks like, and it works fine.  Yes, it sometimes puts in an airliner when the player is in a GA type, but, that's what we're stuck with until a comprehensive AI model pack like FLAi is available for MSFS.

Capture.JPG

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Tony Liford
Posted
Posted

2030277425_Screenshot2020-10-13135543.thumb.png.715359760a420c048a950076179356ff.pngI must be

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted

Hmm.  Okay, I don't know then.  Something else going on there.  Sorry.

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted (edited)

^^ I've now tripled the size of my VMR file I've produced in the link 3 or 4 comments up ... Now includes cargo airline liveries and lots of US airlines too including each individual Frontier livery produced so far. 

It's taken weeks but it's the closest we can get so far so download away!

Model Matching for MSFS

For whoever created or runs vPilot though I'm welcome to any feedback on how I've designed the file too - it doesn't always work for the liveries I've targeted oddly.

Edited by Luke Carter
Added a few lines for the creator of vPilot

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
7 hours ago, Luke Carter said:

For whoever created or runs vPilot though I'm welcome to any feedback on how I've designed the file too - it doesn't always work for the liveries I've targeted oddly.

Can you give me an example?

Elias Stassinos
Posted
Posted

Tried everything above, but i keep getting some of the planes shown until i have non at all showing.... Cooms are ok but i just cant see some or all the aircrafts.

Tried the generic plane and/or the above mentioned custom model matching rules.

Is it a bug with vPilot that is being worked on or it is something else that we are missing?

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Elias Stassinos - Author of PTTBuddy - Automatic volume control while you fly / play /stream
My FS Photos - My MSFS Settings

image.png

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted
15 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

Can you give me an example?

So I have the files loaded in for Swiss for example, and Air New Zealand and Etihad from what I've written in my VMR I've created, but I'll get a ton of boops saying unable to match and it'll use another model instead so I end up getting a ton of Asobo default A320s, or an easyJet livery when it should be KLM (as I had yesterday - it got the easyJet flight and the KLM flight mixed up either side of me)

Today as a further example I flew into Zurich for the big Vatsim event - when I touched down and was taxiing in, I noticed I had a couple of Swiss jets, a few SAS and absolutely everything else was just default Asobo a320 

The TUI A320neo livery always fails to match for me too and I can't for the life of me figure out why - I've used 3 different liveries for that now 

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

When you say the TUI A320neo livery "always fails to match", what do you mean?

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted
9 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

When you say the TUI A320neo livery "always fails to match", what do you mean?

The liveries are in the folder but I get the "the file may be corrupt or missing - vPilot will try and create using a different model". The liveries it bumps are fine though - all config'd correctly to display in game and include AI textures too. Happens with BA every so often too - just decides to not match the liveries to the callsigns. I check the callsign and aircraft type incase someone logs on wrong onto VATSIM using an invalid type code but they're using A320 and A20N etc as they should and my vmr points to those too.

I had someone who downloaded my mod message me with this yesterday too:-

Which is also odd as they have all the liveries that failed installed as well - which also worked the other day. He spawned at Zurich during a massive VATSIM event too as I flew in - I had all default A320neos and B748s and a handful of SAS A320neos and a handful of Swiss B78X's - but everything else ended up default suddenly.

Seeking some guidance on how to fix these issues that randomly pop up - is it my .vmr file that I have created? or is it a wider issue with MSFS only having limited models so vPilot is bumping them when it gets busy?

In relation to the question about TUI - every time there is a TUI callsign in use that is not a dreamliner (which works), I get random liveries or default liveries instead of the TUI A320neo liveries installed (i've put all 3 available in the vmr too)

732bdd40d2a5eb4cebb6c0a196db52f7-png.jpg

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted

Just got this too - SHT is an A320 and it's created it with another BA livery but it makes no sense that it is failing to use the livery one day, and succeeding another? same with the flight below - it's a B788 and that's in my vmr... it works sometimes but today it's now rejecting the model? It's put in a 747 instead. Any help would be appreciated as i'm spending a lot of time trying to work out whats wrong

896647957_vPilot19_10_202015_59_50.png.59ec0ea74586d8a41f43efe01baa4994.png

vpilot.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

I have no idea why MSFS would refuse to create an aircraft with a model and texture that you know is installed and working.

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted

Quite odd isn't it - spend quite a while trying to work out why it randomly bugs out like that. I'll have to keep tinkering with the vmr file I suppose.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The VMR file just tells vPilot which model to use for any given combination of type code and callsign prefix. There's no change you could make to the VMR file that would allow the model to start working.