You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Model matching in msfs?

Eytan Ofir

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, Quinten Bowman said:

Among the things I don't understand is, when we're talking model matching causing a CTD, which program is crashing? MSFS? vPilot? Potentially either or both?

It can be either, but usually it's the sim crashing, and then sometimes that will also cause vPilot to crash.

1 hour ago, Quinten Bowman said:

To meet that goal, I'm contemplating changing Settings>Performance> Do not display aircraft beyond to "zero", and Maximum aircraft to display to "zero." Aside from not being able to see anyone, anyone know of a reason this won't work?

You only need to set the max aircraft to zero. Doing so will make the max range setting irrelevant. (The max range cannot be set below 1 anyway.)

As to your sim crashing, I'm afraid I have no idea what might be causing that. Does it happen only when you connect to the network and there is an aircraft nearby? Or does it also happen when there is no other traffic near you? If it only happens when there is traffic nearby, is it only when a certain model is used to render that traffic?

Have you tried temporarily removing MegaLiveries?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Luke Carter

• Aake Friman

• Andrew Purdie

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 32 posts

• Luke Carter

Luke Carter 14 posts

• Aake Friman

Aake Friman 11 posts

• Andrew Purdie

Andrew Purdie 6 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 22 2020

11 posts

• Oct 12 2020

7 posts

• Dec 29 2020

6 posts

• Aug 29 2020

6 posts

Popular Posts

Ross Carlson

I will eventually be teaching vPilot how to scan your installed liveries. Right now, it's not fully clear to me how to discover all community add-on liveries and models and how they interact and overr

Diego Vasquez

Thanks and apologies for being extremely specific... gotcha about models, what about liveries?

Matthew Bartels

if the freeware developers create the models and paints then I don't see why not. The issue right now is that the legacy models and paints from FSX P3D do not work with MSFS and thus must be made new.

Posted Images

Quinten Bowman
Posted
Posted

Frankly, I haven't paid much attention to who else is around. Since they are both early flights, I've specifically chosen to fly out of relatively unpopulated airports (CYLW and KGEG) so that any ignorance I display affects the least number of other users. I was flying towards KSEA and CYVR. It is entirely possible that I got within the standard 40 miles injection radius of another user, triggered model matching, and caused MSFS to crash. That's actually the possibility I'm troubleshooting. But I have 2 data points, which isn't enough to draw conclusions.

For what it's worth, MSFS appears to crash much less often (every 10-12 hours, versus every 30 minutes) when I don't have vPilot attached.

I will remove the megaliveries and see if that changes something. While I don't see how it could be related, I can also try removing A320NX and a A321 that was imported/upgraded from MFSX. It's likely my next flight will be 0300Z, so I won't have anything to report until tomorrow.

As a point of protocol, should I let ATC know I've had crash issues in the flight plan notes? Via voice? Do they get the message that my sim crashed when it happens? Is there a way to let them know what happened when I suddenly drop off radar?

Robert Shearman Jr
Posted
Posted
48 minutes ago, Quinten Bowman said:

Is there a way to let them know what happened when I suddenly drop off radar?

If your Pilot Client remains connected while an exception or other error message remains on-screen, you can key up and let them know.  Otherwise, don't worry about it.  If you drop off the scope and don't reappear within a couple minutes, they'll assume you aborted for one reason or another & will move on with their day. 

Cheers,
-R.

fvJfs7z.png

Quinten Bowman
Posted
Posted

Update, which might be moot, since I see vPilot updated this morning and the new version seems to disable model matching for msfs. But in case this is helpful to someone else, here's what I've learned. 

Last night I was able to complete my first Vatsim flight ever, from KEUG to KGAG, by going into performance and turning maximum aircraft to display to ZERO. There was other Vatsim traffic in the area, but I obviously couldn't see them because I'd turned them off.

Next, I turned aircraft back to 999 and logged in parked at KSEA, because it was busy with other Vatsim pilots. MSFS crashed to desktop within a minute. I get the impression MSFS is crashing because it is receiving information about Vatsim pilots that MSFS can't handle. My suspect is still something about the Megaliveries (currently running all of 11.3).

Testing that, I removed Megaliveries, spawned next to a busy airport, and just sat for a while (defined as more than a couple minutes and until I got bored). No crash.

My current hypothesis is that either there are errors in Megaliveries, which vPilot is dutifully passing on to MSFS, and MSFS can't handle.

I have no idea where or how to start diagnosing Megaliveries.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
5 hours ago, Quinten Bowman said:

I see vPilot updated this morning and the new version seems to disable model matching for msfs

That's not the case. The 2.6.9 update just fixes a bug that was causing some MSFS models to not load correctly.

Elias Stassinos
Posted
Posted
13 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

That's not the case. The 2.6.9 update just fixes a bug that was causing some MSFS models to not load correctly.

So this is expected behavior? or something is wrong in my setup?

image.png.b4bbef2f6a5e5635e7284df29778a199.png

__________________________________________________________________________________________
Elias Stassinos - Author of PTTBuddy - Automatic volume control while you fly / play /stream
My FS Photos - My MSFS Settings

image.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That button is disabled because vPilot does not have a way to scan for installed models with MSFS. The default model matching rules are hardcoded.

• Like 1

Diego Vasquez
Posted
Posted (edited)
On 11/13/2020 at 12:37 PM, Quinten Bowman said:

Update, which might be moot, since I see vPilot updated this morning and the new version seems to disable model matching for msfs. But in case this is helpful to someone else, here's what I've learned. 

Last night I was able to complete my first Vatsim flight ever, from KEUG to KGAG, by going into performance and turning maximum aircraft to display to ZERO. There was other Vatsim traffic in the area, but I obviously couldn't see them because I'd turned them off.

Next, I turned aircraft back to 999 and logged in parked at KSEA, because it was busy with other Vatsim pilots. MSFS crashed to desktop within a minute. I get the impression MSFS is crashing because it is receiving information about Vatsim pilots that MSFS can't handle. My suspect is still something about the Megaliveries (currently running all of 11.3).

Testing that, I removed Megaliveries, spawned next to a busy airport, and just sat for a while (defined as more than a couple minutes and until I got bored). No crash.

My current hypothesis is that either there are errors in Megaliveries, which vPilot is dutifully passing on to MSFS, and MSFS can't handle.

I have no idea where or how to start diagnosing Megaliveries.

Thanks, I have been for now actively avoiding customizing any AI model packs - not only because they may be buggy and/or break with every Asobo ubdate - also other aircraft look like a small bunch of pixels grossly overshadowed by their own lights. Except when really, really close which is not common.

I am still looking forward to a modest but reliable VATSIM-optimized livery pack for the Default AI/low-poly models.

Edited by Diego Vasquez

Teemu Pienimaki 828685
Posted
Posted

Post removed as referenced solution violates the TOS of the package used. -MB

• 2 weeks later...
Brendan Ratchford
Posted
Posted
On 11/15/2020 at 2:31 AM, Teemu Pienimaki 828685 said:

Post removed as referenced solution violates the TOS of the package used. -MB

Can you PM me the name? 

• 2 weeks later...
Aake Friman
Posted
Posted

What is the latest stand regarding a ” modified” vmr file for MSFS models in vPilot?

• 2 weeks later...
Aake Friman
Posted
Posted
On 12/7/2020 at 9:27 AM, Aake Friman said:

What is the latest stand regarding a ” modified” vmr file for MSFS models in vPilot?

Peculiar that you could not provide this feedback here at vPilot??

Modelmatching MSFS

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Aake Friman said:

Peculiar that you could not provide this feedback here at vPilot??

Modelmatching MSFS

That's a third party project that is not provided by myself or by VATSIM. I don't use it, nor can I vouch for its quality, stability, or completeness.

Aake Friman
Posted
Posted
10 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

That's a third party project that is not provided by myself or by VATSIM. I don't use it, nor can I vouch for its quality, stability, or completeness.

It appears to be OK, I now see more correct models on other participants have unchecked Live traffic so that I only see them. 

This is how it looks in v-Pilot:

Skärmklipp.JPG

Aake Friman
Posted
Posted

I get this issue implented as of above- what can I do- is it my livery installed or what?

Skärmklipp.JPG

Matthew Bartels
Posted
Posted
49 minutes ago, Aake Friman said:

I get this issue implented as of above- what can I do- is it my livery installed or what?

Skärmklipp.JPG

We aren't providing support for this package. It's not officially supported by VATSIM.

You either die a hero, or live long enough to see yourself become the villain.

Forever and always "Just the events guy"

Aake Friman
Posted
Posted

I understand. Are you working on an own vmr-file that will utilize the MSFS compatible models? It would be nice to avoid mixing with IVAO setup as recommended.

Serge Rusak
Posted
Posted (edited)

Hello, Guys!  I've read through the whole topic, but unfortunately I didn't find any problem solution (or maybe missed something?)

I am using fs2020 and after vpilot connected to the server in 1 I get the following warning and get disco from the server:

image.png.18e5fcbd80235deb985f83801ebdbe83.png

In the Model Matching options I have: Generic Airliner Twin engines Asobo 00 like in the picture, but scan option is disabled...

I also downloaded various vrm files and added to the rules, but doesn't work out...

Please, advise what should I do in order to get rid of the problem of being thrown out of the server??

Thank you in advance! 

UPD: I found a solution in similar topics here.  I just need to enter a title of any  aircraft installed instead of General Airliner Twin engines Asobo 00.  Let's see how it works

Edited by Serge Rusak

Aake Friman
Posted
Posted

Can we expect any support on this topic from Vatsim/vPilot?

Aake Friman
Posted
Posted
On 12/23/2020 at 10:07 AM, Aake Friman said:

Can we expect any support on this topic from Vatsim/vPilot?

No

Vitaly Latyshev
Posted
Posted
On 11/14/2020 at 3:33 PM, Elias Stassinos said:

So this is expected behavior? or something is wrong in my setup?

image.png.b4bbef2f6a5e5635e7284df29778a199.png

after version 2.6.7 vPilot stops to find MSFS Path again.

Thiago Braga
Posted
Posted
11 hours ago, Vitaly Latyshev said:

after version 2.6.7 vPilot stops to find MSFS Path again.

I also cannot scan on version 2.6.10

image.png.ba307865796ad93a1e161681a8f36c6a.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted (edited)

That's because scanning is not applicable for MSFS, just like the text says to the left of the button. :classic_biggrin:

Edited by Ross Carlson

Thiago Braga
Posted
Posted
36 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

That's because scanning is not applicable for MSFS, just like the text says to the left of the button. :classic_biggrin:

Ok;

I found another way for AITraffic integration. Hope it will works.

Thanks

TB

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vPilot will use the default aircraft that come with MSFS. If you want to use custom model sets, you just need to load a VMR file, same as with FSX or P3D.