You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Model matching in msfs?

Eytan Ofir

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted

So potentially it's an issue within the livery file somewhere or MSFS being MSFS!

• Replies 103
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Luke Carter

• Aake Friman

• Andrew Purdie

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 32 posts

• Luke Carter

Luke Carter 14 posts

• Aake Friman

Aake Friman 11 posts

• Andrew Purdie

Andrew Purdie 6 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 22 2020

11 posts

• Oct 12 2020

7 posts

• Dec 29 2020

6 posts

• Aug 29 2020

6 posts

Popular Posts

Ross Carlson

I will eventually be teaching vPilot how to scan your installed liveries. Right now, it's not fully clear to me how to discover all community add-on liveries and models and how they interact and overr

Diego Vasquez

Thanks and apologies for being extremely specific... gotcha about models, what about liveries?

Matthew Bartels

if the freeware developers create the models and paints then I don't see why not. The issue right now is that the legacy models and paints from FSX P3D do not work with MSFS and thus must be made new.

Posted Images

William Matos
Posted
Posted
On 10/19/2020 at 10:05 AM, Luke Carter said:

Just got this too - SHT is an A320 and it's created it with another BA livery but it makes no sense that it is failing to use the livery one day, and succeeding another? same with the flight below - it's a B788 and that's in my vmr... it works sometimes but today it's now rejecting the model? It's put in a 747 instead. Any help would be appreciated as i'm spending a lot of time trying to work out whats wrong

896647957_vPilot19_10_202015_59_50.png.59ec0ea74586d8a41f43efe01baa4994.png

vpilot.png

I am having the same issue. There seems to be no consistency with the model matching. Each time I restart vPilot it applies a different livery to each plane... basically completely ignoring the model matching. Also sometimes an A320 will come up as an B787 and vice versa. 

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 hour ago, William Matos said:

I am having the same issue. There seems to be no consistency with the model matching. Each time I restart vPilot it applies a different livery to each plane... basically completely ignoring the model matching. Also sometimes an A320 will come up as an B787 and vice versa. 

Are you using any custom VMR file?

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

William Matos
Posted
Posted
2 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

Are you using any custom VMR file?

Yes I am using the community mod MSFS vPilot Modelmatching from here: https://flightsim.to/file/1632/msfs-vpilot-modelmatching

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Then you'll need to ask them why you're sometimes getting bad model matches.

• Like 1

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted

That's me - I have no idea - I had it today where .aircraft said it was displaying an Iberia A320 AI Livery for an Iberia callsign, but oddly when I saw him it was in Lufthansa colours. Very odd.

Found some issues with the livery aircraft.cfg files where the livery creators are not putting in the ICAO_code = " " line to show what airline the livery should belong to so have done a YouTube video about that as that's one issue I'm sure

William Matos
Posted
Posted (edited)
36 minutes ago, Luke Carter said:

That's me - I have no idea - I had it today where .aircraft said it was displaying an Iberia A320 AI Livery for an Iberia callsign, but oddly when I saw him it was in Lufthansa colours. Very odd.

Found some issues with the livery aircraft.cfg files where the livery creators are not putting in the ICAO_code = " " line to show what airline the livery should belong to so have done a YouTube video about that as that's one issue I'm sure

I have checked the cfg files of the ones I had issues with and can confirm that the ICAO codes are there. I don't think that's the issue I'm having. 

Edited by William Matos

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
46 minutes ago, Luke Carter said:

Never heard of that line ...

Anyway, when using VMR files, the aircraft.cfg file contents are irrelevant other than the title= lines.

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted
26 minutes ago, Ross Carlson said:

Never heard of that line ...

Anyway, when using VMR files, the aircraft.cfg file contents are irrelevant other than the title= lines.

Well I have no idea what I'm doing - I have built it for myself and have shared it for the whole sim community in absense of any form of half decent modelmatching out there as there currently isn't any.

I'm trying to figure out why vPilot doesn't work with some of the liveries and figured that may be the issue but if you're saying it's not could you kindly consider what may be the issue please?

Even today it told me it had put an Iberia flight as Iberia but as I said, when I saw it, it was in Lufthansa colours so something isn't talking to something properly - and I'm not of the knowledge to work out what

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted

Should all the title lines just be the same? Or is there something particular to look out for with the liveries that might not let them work correctly?

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted

Should also add I've seen some livery .cfg files titles are missing the end " as well - could this stop the livery being read by the .vmr?

Again, any help trying to work this out is vastly appreciated

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

The way VMR files work is described in detail in the vPilot Documentation. Please read that thoroughly and then post back here with specific questions.

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted

I've read it multiple times over having tried to create a VMR for MSFS. I get we (MSFS users) are a nuisance because it's not working 100% as a sim but I'm just trying to help find a solution to modelmatching currently as best as we can get it.

Even though I have asked above, here are the specific questions I currently have.

1. If the model title isn't complete with the name in between two " symbols - will vPilot not be able to find it correctly?

( For example title = "easyJet neo ; model name - as I have seen in a livery)

2. Why does it generate a Lufthansa livery, yet .aircraft says it is generating an Iberia livery for an Iberia callsign? Seems to be a bug.

3. For the vast amount of liveries out there, is there anything specific that should be configured in the config file OR the vmr to make sure vPilot can find them?

• Like 1

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
3 hours ago, Luke Carter said:

1. If the model title isn't complete with the name in between two " symbols - will vPilot not be able to find it correctly?

( For example title = "easyJet neo ; model name - as I have seen in a livery)

vPilot doesn't scan aircraft.cfg files for MSFS, so it's not a question of whether or not vPilot will find it. It's a question of whether or not MSFS will recognize it. I suggest you try it and find out.

2. Why does it generate a Lufthansa livery, yet .aircraft says it is generating an Iberia livery for an Iberia callsign? Seems to be a bug.

Sounds to me like the title says Iberia, but the texture is for Lufthansa. In other words, the aircraft.cfg is messed up.

3. For the vast amount of liveries out there, is there anything specific that should be configured in the config file OR the vmr to make sure vPilot can find them?

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

Diego Vasquez
Posted
Posted
14 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

vPilot doesn't scan aircraft.cfg files for MSFS, so it's not a question of whether or not vPilot will find it. It's a question of whether or not MSFS will recognize it. I suggest you try it and find out.

Sounds to me like the title says Iberia, but the texture is for Lufthansa. In other words, the aircraft.cfg is messed up.

I'm not sure what you're asking here.

17 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

The way VMR files work is described in detail in the vPilot Documentation. Please read that thoroughly and then post back here with specific questions.

I was also mighty confused by trying to read the vPilot documentation (that heavily references aircraft.cfg) and only later I read the comment above stating that this is not the case for MS FS2020.

I guess that until the doc is updated with the peculiarities for FS2020, we should stay here in the forums?

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
1 minute ago, Diego Vasquez said:

I was also mighty confused by trying to read the vPilot documentation (that heavily references aircraft.cfg) and only later I read the comment above stating that this is not the case for MS FS2020.

I guess that until the doc is updated with the peculiarities for FS2020, we should stay here in the forums?

vPilot does not scan aircraft.cfg files for MSFS, but the title line from the aircraft.cfg file is still what you use when you create a custom VMR file.

Daniel Mckee
Posted
Posted

VMR files generally collect information from more than one source and it is not uncommon for there to be spelling and ICAO errors making it impossible for vPilot to match. The only solution (and I do not yet know how to do this) is to identify which aircraft you have trouble matching and then locate the information in the vmr file for editing using notepad or the like. Unfortunately this will probably have to happen on an aircraft error by aircraft error basis. This also happened sometimes in X-Plane CSL files. There were a number of this type of error even in Bluebell CSL's.

Luke Carter
Posted
Posted

Quite an odd one - prior to Patch 5 the model matching file was at least 75% accurate - but now post-patch I get BAW liveries showing, and BEL liveries but so far - absolutely nothing else! The liveries that have been updated have all been checked too for any changes and the vmr updated with any model title name changes so can't work out why this isn't reliable anymore... it should still be producing the liveries for the 3 airliner types in the files. 

Anyone else noticed this? vPilot still thinks it's displaying all liveries correctly from .aircraft but they're all default asobo.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

If vPilot is choosing the default asobo model, that means it's not finding a match in your VMR file.

Aake Friman
Posted
Posted

Ive checked MY MFS 1.10.8 installation and vPilot and get the following respons from the latter considering model matching:

How come- I have the livery setup of latest stand for the A320 but Vatsim planes show up  as the Fly by wire default model.

Åke

vPilot1.JPG

vPilot2.JPG

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
8 hours ago, Aake Friman said:

How come- I have the livery setup of latest stand for the A320 but Vatsim planes show up  as the Fly by wire default model.

Sorry Aake, but I don't understand this question. Can you rephrase?

Aake Friman
Posted
Posted
On 11/8/2020 at 4:58 PM, Ross Carlson said:

Sorry Aake, but I don't understand this question. Can you rephrase?

Sorry for being fluffy- I tried to explain that the setup I have in vPilot (shown in the two pictures) enable me to ”see” other aircrafts online on Vatsim but the appearance is corrupt i.e. Strange models and ”no” correct livery, even the A320 (my own aircraft is shown correctly in the pictures) if a participant have that aircraft and I have almost any livery available in MFS they never apply correctly.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Can you give a very specific example of what you're talking about?

Aake Friman
Posted
Posted
12 hours ago, Ross Carlson said:

Can you give a very specific example of what you're talking about?

Not able right now due to travelling. Will revert with some more photos with detailed explanation next week.

Quinten Bowman
Posted
Posted

I'm brand new to this thread, Vatsim, and vPilot, but I've read the docs. And when I say new, I mean I've attempted two flights and MSFS has CTD partway through both of them. vPilot remains running and announces my simulator crashed. Total time in Vatsim is about 30 minutes. Yes, I'm running the MegaLiveries. No I do not have a custom VMR. Model matching is default rules.

Among the things I don't understand is, when we're talking model matching causing a CTD, which program is crashing? MSFS? vPilot? Potentially either or both?

Right now I'm less concerned with making sure other pilots are displaying the correct models or liveries, and more concerned with being able to take off, fly somewhere, and land with human ATC. To meet that goal, I'm contemplating changing Settings>Performance> Do not display aircraft beyond to "zero", and Maximum aircraft to display to "zero." Aside from not being able to see anyone, anyone know of a reason this won't work?

Oh, and once that goal is met, THEN I would love to be able to actually see you all in game.

Finally, Ross, thank you putting your time into this project!