You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Getting started in ATC

Ruth McTighe 824054

Levi Duroy 981416
Posted
Posted

I have tried to log in to observe,but with no success.I was told that you needed to take more basic exams before you could.I have emailed the training staff at ZLA.So hopefully they can clarify it better for me.

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruth McTighe 824054

• Levi Duroy 981416

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

• Lakhbir Singh 936840

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruth McTighe 824054

Ruth McTighe 824054 18 posts

• Levi Duroy 981416

Levi Duroy 981416 13 posts

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262 11 posts

• Lakhbir Singh 936840

Lakhbir Singh 936840 8 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 20 2007

10 posts

• Oct 14 2007

9 posts

• Nov 29 2010

9 posts

• Feb 3 2007

8 posts

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted

As Ruth has already stated, you do not have to be a member of any ARTCC/FIR to observe, And you dont need the right to observe from ZLA. Make sure the rating in your Radar Client is set to Observer.

vatme-sig.jpg

Levi Duroy 981416
Posted
Posted

it is set to observer and I have tried to log in many times.Could it be ASRC?I'll try again though.

Levi Duroy 981416
Posted
Posted

ok,so I could get online.I guess I was supposed to use my VATSIM ID.OOOOOPPPPPPPSSSSS.

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted

Glad to hear you got it sorted, Have fun! Good Luck in your Controlling Career now

vatme-sig.jpg

Levi Duroy 981416
Posted
Posted

Still having problems logging into the ZLA exam Center,but hopefully I'll get an email soon.As for sector files,is there a guide somewhere about how to set these up.When I log into ASRC,it's just black space.

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted

Please read the replies already given to you. I'll repeat my earlier answer here:

In the meantime, start up VRC or ASRC, login with your VATSIM CID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word and start observing. I don't know about the USA, but VATSIM UK has a walkthrough on getting set up to observe. You'll find both the ASRC and VRC versions at http://www.vatsim-uk.org/training/index.php - look for the Observers Guides

this will tell you about using sector files,and anything else you need to know about starting observing

Ruth

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

Levi Duroy 981416
Posted
Posted

ok,thanks.I only read parts of the asrc guide.

Ruth McTighe 824054
Posted
Posted
ok,thanks.I only read parts of the asrc guide.

now you know why you need to read it right through!

Ruth

Ruth McTighe

Heathrow Director, Essex Radar, Thames Radar, London Information

[Mod - Happy Thoughts]t webmistress CIX VFR Club http://www.cixvfrclub.org.uk/

Webmistress Plan-G http://www.tasoftware.co.uk/

Now not a VATanything

• 2 months later...
Holly Kolodziejczak 104140
Posted
Posted

Oh, dear. I'm afraid I have a similar question to others here, but the answers that have been given previously have not helped me... I am, perhaps, blind.

I find aviation fascinating, though I am a complete novice. I wanted to log in and observe some of the ATC folks at work, but I just don't seem to be able to do it. I've gotten everything done, except I simply cannot, for the life of me, locate the sector files for the US region. Your guide was very helpful, Ruth, and I was able to log into the software, but without the sector files I think I am dead in the water. I've registered with my division, but I've got "up to 12 hours" before I can even progress any further there... Is there some easier way I can just... observe? Listen?

Norman Blackburn
Posted
Posted

Holly,

You can connect right now - no need to wait for another moment!

You say you are looking for sector files for the US Region - anywhere in particular you would like to look at?

The best place to start is www.vatusa.net where you will see a list of ARTCC websites down the right side. Click the relevant one and I am sure you will find the download you need.

If not, please don't hesitate to ask!

Norman

sig_FSLBetaTester.jpg

Bryan Wollenberg 810243
Posted
Posted

Hi Holly, I'm not showing you on the roster for any ARTCC in the US, or I would be able to direct you to an exact page. We have no universal database for sector files, so to find them, you have to look at each ARTCC's website. On the right side of the vatusa.net homepage are links to all the ARTCC websites.

For instance, ZLA's website can be found at laartcc.org. Our sector files are under "For Controllers:", then "ATC Downloads". Each website will obviously be different, but hopefully that'll at least get you pointed in the right direction.

Bryan Wollenberg

ZLA!

Holly Kolodziejczak 104140
Posted
Posted

Oh, I see! Thanks for the help... I'm not [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated with an ARTCC yet as I've just registered tonight, but I imagine I'll fall into Seattle once I get all situated. I grabbed some of the sector files for the West Coast and I'm currently eavesdropping on LAX.

Thanks again!

Garry Morris 920567
Posted
Posted

Seattle is a lovely area, one of my favorites (even though I'm a LOA Albuquerque controller at the moment).

Ask questions where needed, we'll help you out.

• 5 months later...
Sahaab Saleem 1051194
Posted
Posted

Hi

I have started the atc business and actually I am waiting for my software trainier of my division to contact me. In the meantime what (in your opinion) is the best atc software to use and possibly the best division.

• 4 months later...
Zaid Alemam 1023697
Posted
Posted

hey, i took the atc test and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed, i then chose DEN ARTCC as where i want to train and control at. I got an email from saying that i would start soon but then they never contacted me again, i sent them emails numerous times but no one replied, what should i do?

Alex Bailey 969331
Posted
Posted

Zaid, you have an email from me. It will get you going

Alex Bailey

ZMA I-1

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

Caught in our spam filter. You're all set to go, just check your e-mail for getting started instructions.

• 2 weeks later...
Chris Crawford 1084033
Posted
Posted

I am new to this simulation. I have downloaded all the programs, and now FSX will not work. I can find nothing to start my training as a controller. I am a retired ATC controller from Atlanta Center. 31 years experience. I can not get on either of my sims...help

Chris

CF

Daniel Doorgakant
Posted
Posted
I am new to this simulation. I have downloaded all the programs, and now FSX will not work. I can find nothing to start my training as a controller. I am a retired ATC controller from Atlanta Center. 31 years experience. I can not get on either of my sims...help

Hi Chris,

I take it you want to control within the US. Or are you looking at another facility in the world?

vatme-sig.jpg

George Marinakis
Posted
Posted

Chris

CF

Hi Chris and welcome to VATSIM. Since you are a retired Controller and are posting in the Controller forum, I'm going to take a wild stab and guess that you are interested in controlling on VATSIM?

If that's the case, then you have to understand that there are two sides to the VATSIM community...the pilot side and the ATC side. Both pilots and ATC need respective client software to connect to the VATSIM network. I've created links to these client programs which you can go to simply by clicking their names (I know you said you have downloaded everything but just in case you haven't....).

FSX is a flight simulator (there are several other versions of MS Flight Simulator as well as X-Plane which are compatible with the VATSIM network) which is primarily used by pilots. In order to connect onto the network, pilots use one of two client software (SquawkBox (aka SB, SB3 or SB4) and FSInn). These clients must be used in conjunction with a flight simulator to get onto the network.

On the ATC side, we use standalone clients (i.e. you can use these programs by themselves with nothing else, unlike the pilot side). There are several of these available for you to try out and see if you like them. There is the Virtual Radar Client ("VRC"), its predecessor the Advanced Simulated Radar Client ("ASRC") [Note: You have to be a registered member of AVSIM to download this file - it's free to join] and finally, Euroscope.

These ATC clients all come with extensive docomeentation which explains how they work and their various functions. When you launch them, however, you will see a blank screen because each requires special files which "plug in" to the clients and allow you to see the airspace you are interested in controlling. These are called "sector files" and are typically created by members of local staff. For example, if you are interested in ZTL, the staff of that virtual ARTCC has created sector files for just about any airspace you wish to control (including center, approach, tower, ground, etc.) within Atlanta Center. To get these sector files, simply go to the website of the virtual ARTCC you are interested in and look for the download (typically in the "Controller" section of the website).

Again, I'm going to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume you are interested in the US so the place to go is the VATUSA website which is located here:

http://vatusa.net/html/index.php

Just click on the links to the virtual ARTCCs on the right side. I hope this gets you started on the right path so that you can get online and enjoy the network. Once again, welcome to VATSIM!

George S. Marinakis

VATSIM6, co-Founder, VATSIM

sig_FSL-By-Wire.jpg

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

To add a bit to what George just said, new controllers can go to vatusa.net/newmembers to get immediately started in the process of becoming a controller. Go to ARTCC websites for sector files and facility docomeentation.

• 3 months later...
Eric Sevagutchi 1098088
Posted
Posted

Hi, Im Eric

Im am very new to this, and i wanna really know how to become an atc... i tink i need to take an exam i have te software, where is te exam is it on te atc site?

thanks

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted
Hi, Im Eric

Im am very new to this, and i wanna really know how to become an atc... i tink i need to take an exam i have te software, where is te exam is it on te atc site?

thanks

What ATC site are you talking about?

To get started, you need to join a division. In your case, you joined VATUSA. So here's the process you need to go through to get controlling in the United States (VATUSA). Just read the instructions and you'll be fine.

Good luck with your career!

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

• 1 month later...
Wygene Chong 1089621
Posted
Posted

Good luck too! Hope to see you in the tower!

Wygene Chong

C1 Controller | Iceland | Greenland | Faroe Islands

VATSIM Scandinavia