You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Post your scope!

Callum McLoughlin

Harold Rutila 974112
Posted
Posted

I wonder what media outlet will get ahold of that image first and try to run an investigative story on the controllers drinking while on the job.

• Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Christopher Mauro

• Romano Lara

• Wycliffe Barrett

• Sebastien Bartosz

Top Posters In This Topic

• Christopher Mauro

Christopher Mauro 43 posts

• Romano Lara

Romano Lara 29 posts

• Wycliffe Barrett

Wycliffe Barrett 27 posts

• Sebastien Bartosz

Sebastien Bartosz 23 posts

Popular Days

• Nov 24 2010

15 posts

• Oct 19 2011

13 posts

• Dec 8 2008

13 posts

• Feb 2 2011

10 posts

Popular Posts

Gustavo Valdez

VATSYS Present in WorldFlight 2020 I was crazy enough to try it on Tuesday! And it did pretty good managing the eastbound departures out of Mexico Center. Still some things to figure out an

Gustavo Valdez

Not live but progress so far on the Mexico Vatsys Sector    

Gustavo Valdez

Mexico once again in Word Flight! Thanks everyone for flying, had a blast!

Posted Images

Andy Duong 1018407
Posted
Posted
I wonder what media outlet will get ahold of that image first and try to run an investigative story on the controllers drinking while on the job.

Story of a lifetime.. Ronald Reagon would be proud! .....

Steven Caffey
Posted
Posted
Harold got it. All the M98 guys were on H31 St[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ts connected either with DA40/55 USB adapters, or with SHS2355 USB PTTs. Since the H31 has a quick-disconnect, we were able to accomplish position relief in a similar manner to the real world in that the relieving controller would simply plug into the scope with his headset.

Hm, how'd you handle that with regards to the account logged into the position?

Steven Caffey (SY) ZLA Controller

"A mile of highway gets you one mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere."

1099774.png

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Steve,

According to what I've been told, prior approval was obtained from VATUSA. We were all within the same place (no more than a few feet from our own computers) so it was technically a "controlled" environment - no pun intended.

Andrew James Doubleday | Twitch Stream: Ground_Point_Niner

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Steven Caffey
Posted
Posted

Ah, makes more sense now

Steven Caffey (SY) ZLA Controller

"A mile of highway gets you one mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere."

1099774.png

Ryan Butterworth 1037842
Posted
Posted

rofl how true that they'd try to do this...

"adios amigos!"

The quick brown fox jumps over the lazy dog +courage+

Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

Steve,

According to what I've been told, prior approval was obtained from VATUSA. We were all within the same place (no more than a few feet from our own computers) so it was technically a "controlled" environment - no pun intended.

Wait, so What did u guys do?

Just use them same CID (and not logout) or something like that?

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

(Disclaimer: the post above does not necessarily express the opinion or stance of ZAU or ZAUs training program, this view is made by me and me alone)

7664.png

Andrew Wolcott 814793
Posted
Posted

Nice pics everyone.

And oh BTW. The whole thing about controlling and using quick disconnects with H-31 or H-81 headsets is absolutely the BEST way to go when doing a live event.

nmvx9d-2.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Wait, so What did u guys do?

Just use them same CID (and not logout) or something like that?

We considered something like that for one of the previous ZBW Tea Party events, but found that it violated the VATSIM user agreement which prohibits allowing someone else to use your CID.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Seeing where this may be headed and hoping this somehow doesn't turn into some sort of a knee-jerk reaction for a CoC violation pinning on the facility, I'm going to be explicitly clear with the details here to hopefully keep this from getting out of hand before it has a chance to get started...

Having read the CoC regulation on this, I can understand and appreciate the spirit of it as you clearly wouldn't want to give out your p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word and CID to some "random Joe" across the internet to log onto your position and start controlling without the primary account holder being present. However, we did not share our p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]words with anyone. We logged onto the network once in the beginning of the event on our own machines and that was that. Again, as previously stated, I was also informed from ZMP management that prior approval was obtained to allow for this. It was far easier on an operational level to keep the setup the way we had it for coordination purposes rather than having to move laptops around and connect and reconnect to positions. Additionally, everybody was fully certified on the TRACON/cab positions for which we were alternating between during the FNO. Again, nobody was away from their own computer for an extended period of time (for the most part, again, within a few feet of their machine). Lastly we're a pretty close group of friends, both on and off the scopes, meaning that everyone that was in attendance for the live event has known each other for quite some time in reality (we trust each other not to do anything to harm the network). Additionally, I'd find it quite difficult to believe that us rotating positions would somehow negatively impact operations on the network. If anything this was more beneficial towards preventing confusion or frequency glitches and what not by not having to constantly connect and reconnect to positions/voice servers.

Honestly, we were just acting in the best interest of the situation. We were providing efficient and effective services to pilots while keeping controllers immersed in the experience by allowing them the opportunity to rotate around - in the end it all worked out!

University of North Dakota | FAA Air Traffic Collegiate Training Initiative (AT-CTI) GraduateGPN_Horizontal_-_Tertiary.thumb.png.9d7edc4d985ab7ed1dc60b92a5dfa85c.png

Andrew Wolcott 814793
Posted
Posted

Great post AJ.

All in all, while I recognize that some may be upset by our setup, or may come to the conclusion we violated CoC in one manner or another, I think we ought not turn this into a witch hunt. ZMP acted in the best interest of the pilots, and provided what was IMHO top notch, non-disruptive service to pilots participating in the event. Not only did our setup help alleviate confusion with pilots, but also helped alleviate any confusion for ZMP controllers and our neighboring facilities.

I, like AJ, hope this does not turn into a vindictive, CoC thumping making of examples to the rest of the network. I hope everyone realizes that we acted in the best interest of all participants, and if there was any violation of any VATSIM, or otherwise, policy, we certainly apologize and want people to recognize that was not our intention.

As the saying goes, "No harm, no foul." Nothing was done with malicious intent, nor with the idea of purposefully violating any VATSIM CoC Policy or otherwise.

We appreciate everyone's understanding.

nmvx9d-2.png

• Board of Governors
Gunnar Lindahl
Posted
Posted

I think what you did was pretty normal practice for "live" events - last year at the Weston Flight Sim Show we had this setup to exhibit our ATC-side of things:

w3.jpg

...and just left the positions logged in and rotated people as appropriate.

I think it's one of those situations where, as long as it's in a "closed environment", then as an unspoken rule there's nothing wrong with it.

GUNNAR LINDAHL 
## [email protected]
Facebook Twitter Instagram
VATSIM Logo

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Seeing where this may be headed and hoping this somehow doesn't turn into some sort of a knee-jerk reaction for a CoC violation pinning on the facility, I'm going to be explicitly clear with the details here to hopefully keep this from getting out of hand before it has a chance to get started...

For the record, I was only responding to Anthony's question ... I didn't realize that leaving your CIDs logged in was the method you guys actually used for the event. My apologies for inadvertently "calling you out" on an alleged CoC/UA violation.

The fact that we were not allowed to do so for the ZBW event might have had something to do with the fact that our event staff at the time included a founder and two BoG members, who were probably just going by the book. It wasn't important enough for us to seek a waiver so it didn't go any further than that. We just did what we do for regular events ... the relieving controller plugged in on a different computer and the previous controller logged off when the transfer was done.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Andrew Doubleday
Posted
Posted

Ross, I figured you weren't intending to do so, but unfortunately you know as well as I do some people wouldn't hesitate to attempt to make an issue out of it somewhere (as much as I hate to say that).

Andreas Fuchs
Posted
Posted

Hey, don't worry. We normally get these special "PR accounts" for events like these - you may want to consider asking for them next time. Although I would not ask for them for small gatherings where you just control together in one room. Since everyone there is a qualified member of VATSIM, I doubt that anyone will take serious offense by ATCOs switching from one computer to the other, as the computers are normally setup for a specific position.

Scott Diamond 1001574
Posted
Posted

Quick "TMA View" of EGPX in NODE style.

68950.jpg

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

Why do I have a feeling /t is not a part of the real world label

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Tom Uytterhoeven 1151895
Posted
Posted

LOL :p if we would only be controlling RW, we wouldn't have to use the keyboard on our computers at all! :p

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

LOL :p if we would only be controlling RW, we wouldn't have to use the keyboard on our computers at all! :p

Not entirely true. Even in RW we have to use it from time to time

Michael Benson
Posted
Posted

In my tower we use a keyboard all the time, albeit it's a touchscreen/bashscreen one.

Michael Benson

Importer and Exporter of aluminium tubing from Slough Intl

Tom Uytterhoeven 1151895
Posted
Posted

I guess Brussels Tower (RW) is pretty modern then as they only have to use the mouse and their fingers for the communication between controllers.

Todor Atanasov 878664
Posted
Posted

Our system SATCAS (from SELEX) is one of the most modern in the word, but we still need to correct from time to time the FP of a traffic, for which you need a keyboard

Michael Benson
Posted
Posted

Ours is fairly modern too. We use the touch keyboard for changing times, amending flightplans, filing flightplans, etc. If I remember and get chance I'll take some pictures tomorrow.

Michael Benson

Importer and Exporter of aluminium tubing from Slough Intl

Tom Uytterhoeven 1151895
Posted
Posted
Our system SATCAS (from SELEX) is one of the most modern in the word, but we still need to correct from time to time the FP of a traffic, for which you need a keyboard

Well, if I'm not mistaking our tower at Brussels Natl. Airport was inaugurated in 2005. And we had the most modern systems at that time, and keep those updated. I know the controllers have keyboards, but they only use the mouse for updated the STS from SEQ to L/U to T/O so. Damn I want to get up there in a few years ^^

James Barnaby 1067268
Posted
Posted

As close as I could get to a DBRITE and ASDE-X in euroscope

I run both side by side on my dual monitors

euroscope.th.png

VATUSA, vZAU S2 / ORD Major Cert.