You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Post your scope!

Callum McLoughlin

Gray Taylor 1041931
Posted
Posted

mtegctr.th.png

Port-au-Prince Control at your service.

CAF838_CF_124_A_4720_9_FCC_AF62_EFF8_ED4_E.png

• 2 weeks later...
  • Replies 913
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Christopher Mauro

• Romano Lara

• Wycliffe Barrett

• Sebastien Bartosz

Top Posters In This Topic

• Christopher Mauro

Christopher Mauro 43 posts

• Romano Lara

Romano Lara 29 posts

• Wycliffe Barrett

Wycliffe Barrett 27 posts

• Sebastien Bartosz

Sebastien Bartosz 23 posts

Popular Days

• Nov 24 2010

15 posts

• Oct 19 2011

13 posts

• Dec 8 2008

13 posts

• Feb 2 2011

10 posts

Popular Posts

Gustavo Valdez

VATSYS Present in WorldFlight 2020 I was crazy enough to try it on Tuesday! And it did pretty good managing the eastbound departures out of Mexico Center. Still some things to figure out an

Gustavo Valdez

Not live but progress so far on the Mexico Vatsys Sector    

Gustavo Valdez

Mexico once again in Word Flight! Thanks everyone for flying, had a blast!

Posted Images

Daniel Eamon Brennan
Posted
Posted

Still "bright", but a few dfferences:-

Lisboa Approach:

Lisboa.jpg

Daniel Eamon Brennan - C3

Patrik Yngver
Posted
Posted

VTBS_TWR - Bangkok/Suvarnabhumi Tower

516hxt.gif

No traffic as of yet tonight...

Patrik Yngvér

VATSIM Thailand vACC Deputy Director

C3 ENR Controller

ESNO, Sweden

spacer.png

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

Here are some shots from 19/02 On LFMM_CTR

mm1l.jpg

mm2d.jpg

And this one is on LFFF_CTR. I forget the date...

paris1f.jpg

New York ARTCC

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

I thuoght you were going to try out Euroscope?

Nice pictures though

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Sebastien Bartosz
Posted
Posted

I did try out Euroscope and I control with it sometimes ^^

New York ARTCC

Arthur Heiser 1052801
Posted
Posted

ABQ CTR:

ABQ_CTR.png

ABQ APP:

ABQ.png

P50 (PHX TRACON):

P50.png

U90 (TUS TRACON):

U90.png

AMA APP:

AMA.png

ELP APP:

ELP.png

5989571862_77e7162889_m.jpg

AJ Heiser

Senior Controller, ZLA ARTCC

"Good judgment comes from experience. Experience comes from bad judgment." ~ Jim Horning

Gavin Bernard 1026637
Posted
Posted

Philly Approach. On my second monitor I have approach plates.

PHL_NA_APP.jpg

Don't know why my colors are off in screenshots.

ZOB EC, Mentor                         Have an event you'd like ZOB staffing for? Email [email protected]

?cid=1026637

Garrett Longtin 1066037
Posted
Posted

Nice chat box there Gavin.

Garrett Longtin - 1066037

VATUSA, vZAB, S3

vZAB Mentor

Gavin Bernard 1026637
Posted
Posted

Thankfully it wasn't me that said that. Now all of VATSIM knows their mistakes.

ZOB EC, Mentor                         Have an event you'd like ZOB staffing for? Email [email protected]

?cid=1026637

Dennis Poyda 1058160
Posted
Posted

radar2.png

My Scope for EDDM (München)

Online: Delivery, Apron, Tower, and Arrival

TAG: set by me: Callsign/ communication type

Squawk / Arrival

Aircraft type / [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned Runway

Depature route

Steven Caffey
Posted
Posted

Well the colors didn't come out right at all.. I don't have a Print Screen key on my computer, and the combo that help says equals it does nothing so I have a free screen grabber.. Anyway, the flight strip is the more important thing here, sadly he never called

4400054587_b4079b5e9a_b.jpg

PS, usually it's zoomed out farther, I was handling someone's taxi at the time.

Steven Caffey (SY) ZLA Controller

"A mile of highway gets you one mile, but a mile of runway can take you anywhere."

1099774.png

Garrett Longtin 1066037
Posted
Posted

Phoenix Approach:

p50.jpg

Sorry, theres no aircraft at Phoenix at 2:00am

VATUSA, vZAB, S3

vZAB Mentor

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

p50n.jpg

There might be a few if you reconnect to the network lol

The above pertains to United States

37.png

Garrett Longtin 1066037
Posted
Posted

HAHA, I checked to see if any were online then logged off since there were none.

VATUSA, vZAB, S3

vZAB Mentor

Luca Benelli
Posted
Posted

LIRR_N_CTR on dual monitor, i can't find the ones i made while controlling so they are made as OBS.

CTR to the left zoomed in on LIRF, SMR for LIRF Ground on the right.

lirr_ctr_tb.jpg

Luca Benelli - C3 - P2

Jonas Eberle
Posted
Posted (edited)

It's up to me that I want to share my way through to my controller software setup I am going to write that for the pilot that is eager to see how our scopes look like as well as for the experienced controller that might find my feelings common to his own way through setting up a controller workstation.

The sector we deal with is EDGG_S, one of the (hundreds of) Langen Radars (everything that has a scope from the middle of Germany down to the border of France and Switzerland is called a "Langen Radar"). Covered primary fields are Frankfurt/Main in the middle, Stuttgart, Frankfurt/Hahn and Nuremberg (in the East, if no Munich Radar is online). In the first picture you can see roughly ten more fields that have at least a temporary control zone and some sort of IFR procedures.

My starting point is an oldish laptop with a 12" display. You don't believe me? Yeah, you are right: I attached a 22" flatscreen to it

We start with the dusk of EuroScope 3.1d, January this year, which was able to make everything much more colorful

It conincided with my CTR-promotion so here you see one of my first afternoon-sessions on CTR.

1st_start_cluttered.jpg

From today's point of view (only 3 months later which shows that this point is changing constantly...) way too much unnecessary information drawing attention from important things.

What you can see are the EuroScope-common "handoff borders" (around Frankfurt approach sector and to Cologne approach in the Northwest). EuroScope can be taught to know each and every airspace and which controller is handling it. You get neat hints about the agreed "coordination points" and together with a constant calculation of the aircraft's path a direct indication which controller will be next for each and every plane.

On the bottom a simple flight strip is shown, summarizing the flightplan data and adding some information by looking up databases (name of airports, plane type and wake turbulence category).

The lists on the left are rather self-explanatory in their meaning and are fully customizable. They follow the same color scheme as the aircraft tag (the thing on the scope along each radartarget that shows the textual information) in my case, but if you are masochistic, you can choose different colors here The base colors in this setup are: Cyan for tracked aircraft (EuroScope calls that "[Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed" - basically an indication of "this airplane is mine, you other radar controller leave your hand off it!"); Orange for aircraft that will soon enter my airspace ("notified" in EuroScope's vocabulary) and sand yellow for "unconcerned" aircraft.

In the lists interesting fields are T (Voice/Text/Receive only communication type), XFL (planned sector exit flightlevel, thanks to EuroScope's knowledge of handoff points and altitudes), COPX (planned sector exit point) and SI (the controller currently tracking the aircraft [curently none] or the next sector's controller identifier).

In this setup I had the Holding List installed - which I find totally useless nowadays

The METAR list shows another nice EuroScope feature: Along with the Wind and QNH information the current ATIS letter is indicated. This is handed off from controller to controller so (as long as the other controller uses EuroScope) you get the correct designator for each ATIS in range

A further helpful, but totally unrealistic (damnit ) feature is a list of pilots that have hooked to your voice channel - helpful to find that sucker pressing his Push-To-Talk button the whole time. And also a "cheat" to get a callsign where you only understood "Alitalia...a-two"...

Here is the second (and third) EuroScope window.

One frank talk to the (beloved) EuroScope developpers: Would be awesome if those windows would be freely resizable...

edds%2Beddf_arr_detail.jpg

On my 12" (laptop) monitor

You see Stuttgart ground and the Frankfurt arrival sector. These views are basically the same I use today...

See the nice little airplane on the tarmac in Stuttgart? That's EuroScope's ground view (all symbols are freely customizable, this one a little smaller than the standard).

Definitely inevitable for any VATSIMer: charts.

chartviewer%2Bts.jpg

I use the free ChartViewer. It allows automatic download of official charts provided by vACCs plus it allows to quickly search in a specific folder. This is where I have all LoAs (letter of agreements between FIRs, so to say agreed procedures happening near the borders), private charts and other valuable docomeentation saved. It displays .pdf, .txt and images, basically everything you can open in Internet Explorer I am very very happy with it .

Second important thing: TeamSpeak.

Some addition I highly recommend for any action that is taken out parallel on VATSIM voice and Teamspeak (aka controlling or flying ).

virtual_audio_cable.jpg

I hated to mute myself on TeamSpeak because I got confused by two different voice origins. This neat program allows to use your left headset speaker for VATSIM voice and your right one for TeamSpeak. Believe it or not: our brain is able to split that apart so that it is easier to get the message even though you are talked to on both sides. It is called Virtual Audio Cable and I have bought it for some bucks - I deem it well worth.

The scope moves on. Next step I was taking was to make the colorscheme lighter.

light_colorscheme_cluttered.jpg

You see the difference? Yeah, some more controllers are online (see the handoff borders all around me ) And apart from that? Ah, well nothing - still cluttered like hell.

Time to pull all that m[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ive amount of fancy lines out of it. Think that was February then.

light_colorscheme_clean.jpg

Looks way more controllable now, does it? + Brussels online (in the West), hooray!

Another day, another colorscheme.

blueblack_clean.jpg

Good contrast, but not my style... What needs to said here, is that EuroScope does not allow to change the color of the menubar on the top. You say "it is a program, not a romance". Ah, leave me alone.

Here we are in March 2010. The sector shows a Friday evening load.

oldschool_clean_friday.jpg

I have added a fourth tag color: "redundant" is EuroScopish for an aircraft inside your sector, but already tracked by another controller (light grey, see one the leaves my sector to the bottom over Frankfurt's approach airspace).

Pretty much everything went out of my screen, compared to the first setup: If I do not need an aircraft I "tag it down" so that only the flightlevel and climb/decend indicator is shown. No Holding list. I feel that I need everything I can see (that is subject to change, as we have seen...).

Here is the tag I use now (did I say yet it is fully customizable?)

tag.jpg

What you see are two variants of the same tag family: "tagged" and "detailled". You have seen "untagged" in the fullsize Friday evening picture already. Every tag gets detailled when my mouse hovers over it. Most items hold functions that are accessed by clicking on it. So this tag is the most powerful thing ever invented in aviation.

I still have the destination in the tagged variant, I need it constantly but maybe that might go out soon as well. Its color is dependant on the cleared flightlevel, either dark blue (even) or dark green (odd). Apart from that, you see present and cleared flightlevel (only shown if different from present level and in green, my color for all things I [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign to an aircraft).

The detailled tag holds the scratchpad field (make notes and stick it on a plane, like "newbie", "never reads back", "no control" etc. ), [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned SID (on the ground) or STAR (in the air). Next line: destination, planned sector exit level (only shown if not set as cleared level already), [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned RWY. Next line: callsign, eventually communication type, controller indicator (next enterring sector's controller in that case). Next line: Current flightlevel, cleared flightlevel (only shown if different from current level), speed in 10kts, next direct-to-point or [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned heading. Next line: [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned rate (1000ft/min in this case), [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned speed (250kts). Next line: flightplan data like plane type and requested cruise level.

Shall I explain which functions I can access by mouseclick?... Ah, I better leave you alone, most items have functions [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned for left and right mouse buttons, where the right button is (often) to switch the item visible/off in the "tagged" variant. I am currently thinking if this is necessary because I use it so seldom.

Colors: My approach is that all colors should really should "mean" something. I chose bright green for clearances (heading, cleared level, rates and speeds, SID/STAR) and co-ordinated direct-to points (you will have to think of 4 colors for EuroScops's controller co-ordination features: pending by other/by me, accepted [this one goes bright green because I consider it a clearance], refused...), ocean blue for flightplan items (aircraft, cruise level) except from destination - that one gets shown in two colors based on the cleared flightlevel (even or odd) and sand yellow for all warnings. Grey are computed values like the sector exit level or the current vertical speed. On "[Mod - Happy Thoughts]umed" (= tracked, aka "mine") airplanes the callsign, altitude and speed are shown a notch bigger than anything else, one of the best-looking features in my oppinion That, at least, is a try of making similar things look similar and give the eye a clue of what to search for when I question myself "ey, what is the cruise level of this one?".

EDIT: You can download all my visual settings. After being asked for them, I put them to a .zip. Copy to your desired settings location and use "Settings files setup..." to import them to EuroScope.

Thanks for your interest in a story about some VATSIM controller setting up his workstation to fit the needs and the endless (daunting, uncountable, confusing... ) possibilities of EuroScope. Make it your home and find your style! But it can be where too much freedom will never let you be content with the state you are in now. Beware Questions? You're welcome.

Edited by Guest

Colm Fitzgerald 1037650
Posted
Posted

Jonas, das ist fantastisch aussieht! Macht sp[Mod - Happy Thoughts]!

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted

LOL Colm.

But anyways, that is really awesome! It's amazing how customizable ES is.

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC 

Daniel Eamon Brennan
Posted
Posted

Wow!! And some say mine are very bright and colourful! That knocks my bright ones out of the sky!

Daniel Eamon Brennan - C3

Robin Rogalla 992500
Posted
Posted

Now I understand what Flo Harms meant with "Klickibunti". Amazing but how long you needed for designing your tag or the complete asr?

Christopher Mauro
Posted
Posted

Rough draft of Finland on ES

Any comments are appeciated! I feel it can get very cluttery at times with the Sector Inbound and Exit lists but any advice will be taken into consideration

finlandes.jpg

Chris Mauro

Oliver Gruetzmann
Posted
Posted

A new one of mine, this time pretty much based on the real Munich Center. Unfortunately I have only one screen right now.

scope2.png

Jake Saw
Posted
Posted

A sneak peak at the next instalment of TAAATSMod for EuroScope currently in development.

taaatsmod21.jpg

Jake

Developer - vatSys

image.png.3cc3dde479bc419c580ca959161ce25e.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

That TAAATS mod is sweet!

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC