You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

Getting started in ATC

Ruth McTighe 824054

Milos Menicanin 1149313
Posted
Posted

im new and i have no idea how to start training i dont know where to see in what division im i. please help me. or do i have to download something ? -.-

• Replies 270
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruth McTighe 824054

• Levi Duroy 981416

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

• Lakhbir Singh 936840

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ruth McTighe 824054

Ruth McTighe 824054 18 posts

• Levi Duroy 981416

Levi Duroy 981416 13 posts

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262 11 posts

• Lakhbir Singh 936840

Lakhbir Singh 936840 8 posts

Popular Days

• Oct 20 2007

10 posts

• Oct 14 2007

9 posts

• Nov 29 2010

9 posts

• Feb 3 2007

8 posts

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted
im new and i have no idea how to start training i dont know where to see in what division im i. please help me. or do i have to download something ? -.-

Did you read the first few pages of this thread, pretty sure there's a similar question in there.

Step 1. Join a division in a region (visit http://www.vatsim.net/vatsim/members/ then choose Change Division if you want to control in that selected Region. For example you joined North America when you first joined here, but you wish to control somewhere else in Europe, select Change Region then select your desired location. Once this is accomplished, select a Division within the Region; then follow step 2.

Step 2. Read the division's policy and contact their training staff or the director directly and inquire on how to get started with the trainings. *If you're joining VATUSA, you will have to take and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts] the basic ATC exam (once p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ed you will have to select which ARTCC to join; and then contact their staff on how to get started.

Step 3. Download the recommended controller client of the division/ARTCC and then download the required files to get them working (sector file/alias file/POF etc. and other plug-ins if needed).

Step 4. Request for training, remember that as a student, you are responsible for your training. In lieu with that, you should help yourself as much as possible, this is done by asking questions whenever you feel uncomfortable and unsure of what you're doing. Remember, your mentors and instructors are there to help you.

Step 5. Don't forget to enjoy what you're doing. Loving your virtual job is sometimes the secret to a better controlling.

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

Roland Collins 800023
Posted
Posted

Milos,

You are registered in VATSIM Europe Region (VATEUR) and Europe Division (VATEUD).

At any time a member can check their status HERE.

If that is where you want to control then a good starting point is the VATEUD Website.

Roland Collins

VATSIM co-Founder

VATSIM VP Regions

• 1 month later...
Jens Leo Iversen 1155061
Posted
Posted

I just joined VATSIM and I have spent VERY much time searcing for information, both at the VATSIM, VATEUD and VACCSCA sites. I have learned a lot about controller roles and responsibilities and controller "language". But the biggets problem is that I cannot get the Euroscope radar screen to work, so I am not even able to sit in and watch and listen to what happens online. There is obviously a need for a new and updated step-by-step guide for us newcomers. It seem to me that the initial setup of Euroscope and the first connection is too complicated to do without asking for help. And yes - I have read everything on the Euroscope wiki page, and I know there is a lot of useful docomeentation at the VACCSCA sites - which I have also read.

The most difficult thing is the sector files and the profile files and the asr files. Even if I work with IT daily, I dont understand how these files are connected and the relation between them and which files have to be saved under the same directory on my PC. I would like to know how I can start using local sector files intstead of the Hungarian samples that are available. There are a lot of sector files available at http://www.vateud.org/index.php?option=com_phocadownload&view=sections&Itemid=139 but can anyone tell me how I get it from there to an operational radar screen?

Apparently some of the sector files are copied from previous ATC software and they need to be modified for Euroscope.

Btw, I just found out how to zoom in the Euroscope screen, but how can I pan the zoomed screen? Such basic user needs are not described anywhere.

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

Usually ES setup is the first your mentor would teach you if you sign up for ATC training (in VACCSCA anyhow). But if you wish I could take a evening with you on msn or skype and try to teach you the basics Have you filed a training request or are you just intrested in observing?

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

• 3 weeks later...
Ronald Bolser 1156635
Posted
Posted

I am new at this and need to learn what I need and how to set up my computer to get started learning on line controlling.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Hi Ronald, welcome to the world of ATC...the following page will give you an outline: http://www.vatsim.net/atc/. You have to pick a place where you want to do ATC, join the region and then you can go from there. Actual Training will start when you have selected the area where you are controlling and cleared one or two online tests. Good luck!!

When is your next Flight||VATSIM HitSquad Member, ZOA/ZAK/GANDER/P1

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

Where in the world do you want to start? If you sign up at your local ARTCC/VACC and file a training request they'll help you get started. So if you tell us where you want to control we can point you in the right way

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Ryan Hart 1157221
Posted
Posted

Hi,

I signed up and am registered for the United States divison but I don't know how to sign up for training. Can anyone help?

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Log in to the website after your confirmation email. You will need to take a Basic ATC test, you can find all the answers in the VATUSA training section. Give it a read before taking the test.

Then you have to pick and ARTCC, 22 in the US, so whichever one you want. After that training will continue in that ARTCC, you will be notified by email along the process.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

looks like the vatusa training page is having a little database issue. if its down when you try, give it a bit, they just moved servers i believe so still may have a few kinks

Ryan Hart 1157221
Posted
Posted

Thank you Charan, but I can't find the vatusa training section or test anywhere on the site, can you please specify where it is.

Charan Kumar
Posted
Posted

Ryan, VATUSA site is being move from one server to another. Keep an eye on this topic "http://forums.vatsim.net/viewtopic.php?f=16&p=361379#p361379" for the official announcement by Gary Millsaps. Once it is up, you will find the link in the menu on the home page.

• 2 months later...
Pedro Almeida 1165405
Posted
Posted

I there everybody..

I'm a Portuguese Cabin Crew Member and i want to start learning ATC. Congratulations for this great community.

After i made my subscription i have some doughs about the next steps.

I have chosen my area (Europe/except UK), but i can/t access with the Vatsim user's/p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]. The only place where i can access is here. Maybe i/m doing anything wrong.

Thanks for the help

Romano Lara
Posted
Posted
I there everybody..

I'm a Portuguese Cabin Crew Member and i want to start learning ATC. Congratulations for this great community.

After i made my subscription i have some doughs about the next steps.

I have chosen my area (Europe/except UK), but i can/t access with the Vatsim user's/p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]. The only place where i can access is here. Maybe i/m doing anything wrong.

Thanks for the help

Hi Pedro, welcome to VATSIM!

Your first point of contact is the Division Director or FIR Chief, or Chief Instructor of the place you wish to join in. Sometimes your VATSIM CID and p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]word is different from what is needed in their websites. And if you are from Portugal, here's the VATSIM's Portugal vACC website: http://www.portugal-vacc.org/

Good luck!

Romano Lara
vACC Philippines, Manager - Training & Standards
04819c_4181f294a6c34b5aa4d8a82c0fb448c5~mv2.webp

• 2 weeks later...
John Swails 1165850
Posted
Posted

Ok. I know my region an ddivision NorthAmerica / United States. Now who is my contact to get started with my ATC training? I am currently a pilot out of Charlotte, NC (CLT) and I have noticed we don't have that area covered that often. I'd love to help with that. I have read my email and it is still referreing to my division supervisor but I don't see how we are suppose find out who that is? The listing of Staff do not show region or division (that would be convenient).

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

did you go through this already

http://www.vatusa.net/join.php

John Swails 1165850
Posted
Posted
did you go through this already

http://www.vatusa.net/join.php

Thanks, that's what I was missing!!

• 1 month later...
Jimmy Henriquez 1155507
Posted
Posted

Is there syllable or guide that will tell you exactly everything that is in the basic controller exam so we can study?

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

for VATUSA? click the ATC training link on the VATUSA website.

• 1 month later...
Kirk Christie
Posted
Posted

Are VATUSA allowed to have a Basic controller exam, does this fit inside the scope of GRP2?

Kirk Christie - VATPAC C3

VATPAC Undercover ATC Agent

Worldflight Perth 737-800 Crew Member

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

yep, and VATUSA isnt the only one that does it

the basic only weeds out those that arent looking forward to taking tests or training. it does not go towards any rating.

theres nothing difficult about the basic test, as the name sais, it only asks some very basic questions, which mind you is open book

Dave James 1018738
Posted
Posted

What is a "Basic Controller Exam" ?

David James

VATSIM Screenshot Contest Coordinator

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4gig, RAM 3.25gig, ATI Radeon HD4800, XP Pro SP3, FS9.1 FSnav FSinn VRC

EXS_3.jpg

Rahul Parkar
Posted
Posted

Dave,

When you join the VATUSA Division as a new OBS you are automatically signed up for a written exam called the "Basic Controller Exam", this exam is 20 multiple choice questions long and is open book with all material needed to complete the test found on the VATUSA Training Center.

Once you complete the Basic Controller Exam you are forwarded to a screen where you can pick the ARTCC you wish to train in. As you may know, an ARTCC is almost like an RTS in the UK with minor differences

Rahul

Rahul Parkar

"On second thoughts Nappa, catch it, catch it with your teeth" -- Vegeta

Professional Nerd. (Professionally not professional)

Marc Wheeler
Posted
Posted

VATCAN also has a basic exam when you sign up to be a controller.

Just some basic questions, nothing difficult.

CXA001-1.jpgspacer.png

VATSIM: P1|C3