You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

vPilot 2.0 Open Beta now available

Ross Carlson

Josh Glottmann
Posted
Posted

Not related to vPilot directly, but since you asked Aharon, here is what I reference when I'm lost on choosing an aircraft type. You'll notice a "BOEING" (then) "737-800" is a B738.

• Replies 149
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

• Ezio Cingolani 953405

• Kirk Christie

• MICHAEL KATSANIS 1284260

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 50 posts

• Ezio Cingolani 953405

Ezio Cingolani 953405 8 posts

• Kirk Christie

Kirk Christie 7 posts

• MICHAEL KATSANIS 1284260

MICHAEL KATSANIS 1284260 7 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 12 2016

16 posts

• Apr 10 2016

15 posts

• Apr 11 2016

12 posts

• Apr 7 2016

12 posts

Aharon Dayan
Posted
Posted

Ross and Josh,

Thanks for answers.

Regards,

Aharon

CQwL8Nm.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Ross,

I've got a question regarding the highlighting of the COM1/2 "Tx" indicators and the actual transmit behaviour of this fabulous program of yours.

I'm running vPilot 2.0.8 in host mode (without voice) and in remote mode with voice on a second computer. When I tune in two active frequencies with, let's say, COM2 set to transmit and receive, and COM1 set to receive only, the small Tx and Rx indicators in the remote vPilot window reflect exactly that, i.e. all show white text exept the COM1 Tx light which is greyed out - as expected. But when I now press the PTT button (on the host machine), the background of both Tx indicators turns to blue.

Is that a display thing only or does that mean one would really be transmitting on both frequencies then? I did not to try to find it out myself in order not to distract the controllers.

I did some extensive testing with this, and unfortunately it appears to be a bug in the core VVL code, which I did not write and don't have the ability to update. I confirmed that the problem even exists in VRC. Essentially, any time you join a voice channel, you will be in transmit mode on that channel for a second or two regardless of your radio stack configuration. It's definitely only for a second or two though, and then it reverts back to receive only, if that's how your COM radio is configured.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Markus Schober 1328585
Posted
Posted

Thank you very much Ross for looking into that. Sounds like it caused you quite a bit of work, only to leave you with the insight that resolving the issue is out of your reach. Glad to hear that it is a minor thing only, though. I appreciate your dedication!

Markus

• 2 weeks later...
Oliver Branaschky
Posted
Posted
Only issue I have come across and I'm not sure if it has come up before is that the program doesn't seem to remember previously used aircraft/call signs. Each time I connect, the respective boxes are blank. Is this a known problem or is there a solution?

I am unable to reproduce this in standalone (or any other) mode. Are you still having this issue?

Ross,

I'm so sorry for the late reply. Yes, I am still having this issue when in stand-alone mode.

Best regards,

Oliver

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
Only issue I have come across and I'm not sure if it has come up before is that the program doesn't seem to remember previously used aircraft/call signs. Each time I connect, the respective boxes are blank. Is this a known problem or is there a solution?

I am unable to reproduce this in standalone (or any other) mode. Are you still having this issue?

Ross,

I'm so sorry for the late reply. Yes, I am still having this issue when in stand-alone mode.

Best regards,

Oliver

Are other configuration items saved? Such as the location of the window, your CID, your choice of server, etc?

Oliver Branaschky
Posted
Posted

Affirm.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Can you send me your vPilotConfig.xml file? You can send it to vatsim at metacraft dot com.

Oliver Branaschky
Posted
Posted

Will do once I'm at home (most likely within the next five hours).

Thanks for looking into this.

• 4 weeks later...
Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

I have posted this also on the Metacraft vPilot forum. I am having a weird issue with Model Matching on VPilot V2.08 both on P3D V3.4 and FSX-SE. I use UT2 AI models and it has been working perfectly with UT2 models since the very beginning until today.....today as soon as I connect online vPilot is no longer able to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociate the matching rule with the UT2 model ...."...vPilot Failed to create aircraft BAW966 using model "F1UT2_319.BA.BA. The model may be corrupt or missing..." and I have an endless series of warnings like this for every aircraft that it tries to create.

I have two separate systems on the same PC (2 different drives each one with his own Win10 installation) one for FSX-SE and one for P3D..no common part between them.....the problem occurs both on FSX and P3D, so I don't believe it is a problem of corrupted files. The only common part between FSX and P3D is the remote installation of vPilot on a networked laptop (I change the host name from time to time depending which Sim I am using).

Trying to find what was wrong, I found something that might be interesting: on top of the autogenerated model matching rule, I used to have so far also a custom rule set using VMR Generator. If I disable that rule in the settings page, then I have no more alerts when I connect but all the aircraft are rendered using the default aircraft, as if the autogenerated model matching rule does not point to the UT2 Aircraft Folder.

I tried also to use the WOAI models but the result is the same...this is weird....I have no idea what is happening here....

Any help ?

34.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

Ezio, this is really just a guess, but it sounds like maybe your UT2 aircraft are no longer installed in the simulator. So vPilot tried to use those models based on your VMRGenerator rules, and that failed, and then when you removed the VMRGenerator rules and let vPilot generate its own rules, it did not find the UT2 aircraft, and therefore is not using them for model matching. I would check your sim config to make sure UT2 is still installed and referenced in the config file.

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

Ross,

thanks for your reply.....however the UT2 models are still installed, the line calling for them in the P3d (or FSX) cfg is still there and in the Model Matching rule section of vPilot setting it shows that it has recognized all the UT2 models.....I also tried to reinstall both the host and the remore vPilot but it didn't change anything. As I said I tried to reconfigure the sim for the WOAI models and again same story...they are shown in the Model Matching rule section of the settings but I have the same warning of "model not found ....) when I connect online.

Regards

34.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

When you say the "model matching rule section of the settings" what do you mean exactly? Can you post a screenshot?

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

I refer to the vpilot configuration option list...the model matching section....I will post a screenshot as soon as I am back to my pc

Regards

34.png

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

this is what I mean...as you can see the UT2 Models are recognized by vPilot when it generates Model matching rules.

vpilot_zpsr29slm7a.jpg

And this is an extract from the debug file...

"BAW58HM [15:10:06.795] Failed to create aircraft BAW58HM using model "F1UT2_744.BA.BA". The model may be corrupt or missing. vPilot will try to create the aircraft with a different model"

34.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

For some reason, the sim is rejecting the model name when vpilot tells the sim to create an aircraft using that model. I would try reinstalling ut2.

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

Ross,

first of all, thanks for following this up.

You suggest trying to reinstall UT2....I might try, but this would mean that UT2 has suddendly an issue both on P3d and FSX....and why this issue has started occurring exactly the same day on two different Sims installed on two completely separate systems ? Why should UT2 become corrupted or not working at the same time on two different systems ? It is hard to believe this is a coincidence...

Look at these screenshots, taken from P3D (but this is exactly the same for FSX):

This is the message I receive from vPilot when I connect online......look at the 2nd aircraft from the top that it fails to create...a BA A319

vpilot_2_zpsobyrcggt.jpg

now look at the UT2 aircraft folders in Simobjects\UT2 Aircraft....which show that the textures for this aircraft are installed

vpilot_3_zps3z4rypwy.jpg

and finally this is a section from the aircraft.cfg relevant to the UT2 A319 which shows the exact correspondence with the name that vPilot shows as missing

vpilot_4_zps3u3yasgf.jpg

It doesn't make sense, does it ?

34.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
It doesn't make sense, does it ?

It certainly doesn't. All I can say for sure is that vPilot certainly sees that you have that model installed, and it matched an aircraft to that model, and sent a command to the sim via SimConnect telling it to create an aircraft using that model, and the sim returned an error saying that it failed to create the object.

So it seems that vPilot is doing its part ... why the sim is throwing an error is a mystery. Unfortunately, the error message that the sim returns when it can't create a model is useless. It doesn't give any indication as to why it failed. It could be that the model is not installed at all (evidently not the case with your setup) or that the model file itself or the [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociated texture is missing or corrupt in some way, or some other issue is occurring.

As you say, it seems extremely unlikely that something would happen to the model in both of your sims at the same time. Maybe there is some system-level issue that is preventing each sim from loading the model. Are you running any anti-virus software that might interfere with apps accessing files? I'm grasping at straws here ...

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

I have no clue.....I have disabled antivirus, I have reinstalled vPilot, both on host and remote, tried to run it in local mode, rebuild P3D.cfg, checked that all the lines in Simconnect.xml are ok....used WOAI models....nothing...simply nothing...the Sim just refuses to create any aircraft other than the default aircraft...I haven't got a clue what to do next....

34.png

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

Ross,

I have made a significant step forward: reviewing all the steps in the procedure to allow P3D to use UT2 models, I noticed that in the simobjects.cfg file located in the Program Data\Lockeed Martin\Prepar3D folder the various simobjects entries were not sequential, i.e. the last entry before UT Aircraft entry was numbered 11, "UT2 aircraft" was numbered 13 rather than 12, and entry 12 was missing, so I renumbered it to 12, copied the file into the main P3D folder (as requested in order to have UT2 models recognized) and amended the Prepar3D.cfg line in the Main section accordingly. I don't know why the numbering sequence was altered, most likely some recent addon installation may have changed something.

However the result is that now I have no longer any warning of "model not found", and the Sim is able to generate models from UT2 folders, ......but......there is almost no livery [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ociation...almost ALL the aircraft are rendered with the Dedalus livery (default UT2 livery)....and the few instances where the correct livery is displayed are coming from the Custom Rule Set (via VMR Generator) and not from the autogenerated rule. If I disable the custom rule, NO livery is displayed....

This makes me think that up to now all the model matching was achieved only via the Custom Rule and not via the autogenerated, as if vPilot does not communicate with the server to generate the matching rule.....so the question is "what am I doing wrong" ?

Will continue troubleshooting...any suggestion will be greatly appreciated.

Regards

34.png

Ezio Cingolani 953405
Posted
Posted

Just to let you know that I have solved the problem with a complete reinstall of vPilot V2.0.8. Now I can see both UT2 and WOAI aircraft displayed correctly via the autogenerated matching rule.

Regards

34.png

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vPilot 2.0.10 is now available via the automatic update function built into the client (if you're already running the 2.0 beta version) or you can download it here:

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/DownloadHandler.ashx?m=0&ver=2.0.10&file=vPilot-Setup-2.0.10.exe

Here is the changelog for 2.0.9 and 2.0.10:

vPilot - 2.0.10

===============

- 0002523: Update rule generation to handle models with more than one airline code.

- 0002522: Switch to using compressed model matching data file.

- 0002521: Add XMS airline code, match to BAW models.

vPilot - 2.0.9

==============

- 0002515: Add transponder control methods to plugin interface.

- 0002513: Add controller events to plugin architecture.

- 0002511: Duplicate BAW liveries for SHT.

- 0002516: Allow callsigns to start with a number.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
OK - got Unhandled exeption erro after update -

Sorry about that ... I will investigate. In the meantime, if you want to go back to the previous version, download it here:

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ets/Files/Installers/vPilot-Setup-2.0.8.exe

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
OK - got Unhandled exeption erro after update -

This is now fixed in 2.0.11. You can use the auto-updater built into the client or download here:

http://vpilot.metacraft.com/DownloadHandler.ashx?m=0&ver=2.0.11&file=vPilot-Setup-2.0.11.exe

It was caused by a model having a blank title in the aircraft.cfg file.

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted

vPilot 2.0.11 is now stable. To everyone that helped test v2 during the open beta period, thank you!