You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

The funniest things you have ever heard while controlling.

Jake Sims 1158411

William Sequeira 1192651
Posted
Posted

Wow, that seriously went on over VatSim ? I am happy I have not ran into any rude pilots or heard any of that.

He should have been reported.

1192651.png

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

• Don Desfosse

• Thimo Koolen

• Ross Carlson

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262 36 posts

• Don Desfosse

Don Desfosse 24 posts

• Thimo Koolen

Thimo Koolen 19 posts

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 16 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 19 2011

25 posts

• Oct 12 2011

15 posts

• Nov 20 2011

14 posts

• Oct 11 2011

14 posts

Popular Posts

Matthew McEwen

"Tower, g'day, Clipper 811, international car park level 3 bay 14, request taxi" During a quiet evening on Sydney Tower.

Dace Nicmane

It happened to me recently that I couldn't vacate the runway and couldn't figure out why. It turned out I'd landed without gear. The controller had sent me a .contactme on final and distracted me. It

Luka Stevens

meanwhile on Belux Vacc OO-BET: approach this is OO-BET declearing an emergency, engine failure. APPROACH: roger emergency services are on the way to your currect position OO-BET: ooo there's a fie

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

give it a few months you'll see them

especially with Christmas around the corner, more new simmers around the corner, both good and bad

William Sequeira 1192651
Posted
Posted

Quick background for people with SB....you can transmit voice on Unicom locally.

Me: Xxx, announcing 3 mile final, KHQM, RWY 24.

Other pilot online over Unicom via voice: "How are you transmitting voice on Unicom ?"

1192651.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

not on its own, you have to force it to join the unicom voice channel, that is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you have the correct voice server, they arent linked. so you can be on rw.liveatc.net/unicom while someone else is on rw.bostonartcc.net/unicom and you both wont hear each other

William Sequeira 1192651
Posted
Posted

Huh,

I thought it was standard too to set it up like that. The flying club I fly with has that setup part included in our start up guide for FSInn.

I find it very handy, as I am not good at all being able to type and fly fast enough. I usually end up in the dirt when I am trying to type too much via chat when flying.

I have no idea how you ATC guys can talk to pilots, Talk to other controllers, type to pilots, and still awareness for whats going on in your coverage area...Hands down you guys got the multitask award.....

1192651.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

if you are using FSINN, it will join it on its own (this was not a feature meant to go live on VATSIM, was meant for another network) squawkbox however will not, neither will Xsquawkbox. remember text is always primary comms. you can use voice but only as secondary, you still would need to repeat on text to be sure itd reach everyone around you, otherwise just wasted breath. would be just as good as not transmitting anything

go here for more detailed answer

viewtopic.php?f=84&t=38243

William Sequeira 1192651
Posted
Posted

Thank you for that link. I had read that a long time ago, and completely forgot about pilots without ability of sound.

Thank you for pointing me back right. Wouldn't want to cause a comm issue.

1192651.png

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
not on its own, you have to force it to join the unicom voice channel, that is [Mod - Happy Thoughts]uming you have the correct voice server, they arent linked. so you can be on rw.liveatc.net/unicom while someone else is on rw.bostonartcc.net/unicom and you both wont hear each other

He said quick info for people with SB. So yes, FSInn does join on its own which is what the poster was suggesting.

PS, CoC says to monitor UNICOM.. so if he opts to use voice only, then he still isn't violating the CoC so long as he actively monitors text on UNICOM. Personally, I don't have the ability to type and fly at the same time because I opt to not let the auto pilot do anything on my approaches... so if I can, I'll bump and announce over voice while utilizing TCAS, FSInn Radar, chat box and windows to keep an eye out for other aircraft.

• 2 weeks later...
Erik Wachters
Posted
Posted

New one!

Airplane approaching my airspace, speed 2641kts FL450 and climbing to FL700.

flightplan EGKK direct EGPH FL700 tas3870.....

.contactme

"plane": Hello sir

ATC: hello, slow down Mach .95, intentions?

"plane": learning to fly prototype rocket plane, intentions good.

ATC: OK, never mind, freq change approaved.........

Why, why on VATSIM......

Erik

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Well, at least his intentions were good...

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

William Lewis
Posted
Posted
Well, at least his intentions were good...

Don, haven't I heard the same thing out of you just before the CA went off? J/K.

The above pertains to United States

37.png

Burak Bugday
Posted
Posted

just a few days ago I had a traffic who did not contact me and knowing he is going to mess up I did not send him a contactme as there was no conflicting traffic and he was going to be in my airspace a short time...

a minute or two later I saw his cs on my list which shows people connected to my freq. The good old pilot started playing some songs on the freq ) just what I needed

Best Regards,

Burak Bugday - 983451

Turkish vACC Deputy Director

Evan Beaton
Posted
Posted
a minute or two later I saw his cs on my list which shows people connected to my freq. The good old pilot started playing some songs on the freq ) just what I needed

Off topic, but I was just curious about this, as I didn't realize controllers could see who was on their freq - does this only apply if you are tuned in on your active com or also if you're just listening in on com 2 as well?

Also, I love this thread, great stories, haha.

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

servinfo call show you the callsigns that are currently in your channel for VRC users, I believe Euroscope has a built in feature to see who's there

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
does this only apply if you are tuned in on your active com or also if you're just listening in on com 2 as well?

Either one ... also applies if you're using "private voice" to tune in an ATC voice channel. Basically, it's a list of any connections to the voice channel, regardless of how that connection was made.

Note that text comms are different ... controllers cannot see who is on their frequency via text. Not even the server knows what text frequencies you're monitoring. All text transmissions are sent to all pilots in range, and it's up to the pilot client to display the text message or not. (Sort of like how real radio works.) (Kind of ironic how our text radio system works more like real radio than our voice radio system does. )

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

Rick Rump
Posted
Posted

"Roger we'll follow the vegetable" -Some AAL following a GA to taxi to 19 at KDCA.

VATUSA Mid-west Region Manager | Former VATUSA Training Director | Former ZDC ATM/DATM/TA/WM

VATSIM Network Supervisor | Team 5

David Lee
Posted
Posted

Hi all,

I thought I'd post some. Perhaps already posted but here you go:

..."switching to silence 122.80."

..."monitor dead frequency 122.80."

..."request to date the cockpit?" (turns out wanted to leave the flight deck for 20 minutes...)

Perhaps one which I nearly fell out of my chair was:

... "RWY 25L divorced, request taxi to gate"

My best,

David Lee

EUC Director

Sam De Roose 1088100
Posted
Posted

Didn't happen on mine, but read about it:

ATC: "Traffic at your 11'o clock, 5 miles!"

Pilot: "Give us another hint please, we have digital watches."

Best Regards

Sam De Roose

Belux vACC - ACCBE2- Training Director

sam.deroose (at) beluxvacc.org

1088100.jpg

John Muenster 1149119
Posted
Posted

The new crossing restriction on the KRANN1 arrival is BAWLL @ FL230.

NY CTR: "JBUxxx cross BAWLL at FL230."

JBUxxx: "Sir we don't have BAWLL's."

John Muenster (MR) - Minneapolis ARTCC

Unless expressly written, my comments in no way reflect the opinions of any ARTCC I am affiliated with, they are personal opinions only.

Erik Wachters
Posted
Posted

A fresh one.....

PLANE: request takeoff.

ATC: (can't find him in my airspace) What is your position?

PLANE This is the capitain on a B737, requesting takeoff.

Erik

Adam Vianna 1159285
Posted
Posted

I log on to Kennedy tower and there is an aircraft at the end of the departure runway with a bad flight plan who hadn't talked to approach (who was online before me). Approach pings him and then sends him to me. I haggle with him and offer him a simple change that gets him out over one of our exit gates and then direct the first fix on his flight plan. Hi response is, and I quote:

sirt this is a real world flightplan and we cant wait any longer because of fuel wise

and then promptly disconnects...

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
I log on to Kennedy tower and there is an aircraft at the end of the departure runway with a bad flight plan who hadn't talked to approach (who was online before me). Approach pings him and then sends him to me. I haggle with him and offer him a simple change that gets him out over one of our exit gates and then direct the first fix on his flight plan. Hi response is, and I quote:

sirt this is a real world flightplan and we cant wait any longer because of fuel wise

and then promptly disconnects...

It's a whole world out there…

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Tom Uytterhoeven 1151895
Posted
Posted

Don't know if I posted this before but hey I still laugh about it:

Me: XXX123 climb FL310, proceed direct to KOK

Pilot: Say Again

Me: Read Again

:p

• 2 weeks later...
Michael Mamlok 1157170
Posted
Posted

I've got a couple, one of which I'm sure a few VATSIM controllers have nearly done.

1. This is a real world incident (as I believe you could say) this actually went on over the air at TNCM Princess Juliana airport, sometime around DEC 28.

TNCM: WWDXXX, runway 10 at Charlie, line up and wait.

WWDXXX: Line up and wait, Windward XXX (An islander)

Some other traffic handling, about 1 min.

AALYYY: Juliana tower, AALYYY Holding short 10 at Alpha.

TNCM: AALYYY, Runway 10 at Alpha, line up.

AALYYY: Line up 10, AALYYY.

(One more traffic, I believe a Twin Otter executing a left orbit)

TNCM: AALYYY, Cleared takeoff 10, 100 at 13.

WWDXXX: (Almost stepping on TNCM) Uh, Juliana, WWDXXX?

TNCM: AALYYY, Cancel takeoff clearance, Break break, WWDXXX, cleared takeoff 10 no delay, 100 at 13.

WWDXXX: Cleared takeoff, WWDXXX.

Unknown: That was close.

(Note, at this point I stopped tracking this, as I was gobsmacked that Juliana almost launched a 767 through an islander...)

Here's my VATSIM one. I'm the Aircraft in this.

LBB337: Lubbock approach, Cotton 337 with you, p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing through 11,000 for 7,000 (coming in off an uncontrolled CTR), over PVW VOR.

LBB_APP: Cotton 337, Lubbock approach, radar contact over the PVW VOR, decend and maintain 5,000 vectors for the visual rwy 26 approach, altimeter 29.87.

(Note: Winds 24012)

LBB337: Copy radar contact, and unable RWY 26, it's being resurfaced IRL. Request ILS 17R from PVW.

LBB_APP: Rwy 8-26 is closed IRL?

LBB337: I should know. I'm paying for it!

LBB_APP: Rgr, cleared ILS 17R from PVW, report POLLO.

LBB337: Wilco.

LBB222 (VA Buddy): So that's what I hit during takeoff.

Not the world's funniest but yeah.

Side poll: What's your policy on closing rwys if they're closed IRL, both from a pilot's and controller's perspective?

(IRL, the ILS 17R is Glidesope INOP, and rwy 8 is the only other precision rwy, so LBB is without precision approach right now... we had fog before XMas, and SWA couldn't land XD)

Ryan Geckler
Posted
Posted

Side poll: What's your policy on closing rwys if they're closed IRL, both from a pilot's and controller's perspective?

I leave it up to my guys to simulate as they would like. If the runway is closed, then I'll [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ign a different runway to the pilot, but if the pilot requests, I'll give it them.

Ryan Geckler - GK | Former VATUSA3 - Division Training Manager

VATSIM Minneapolis ARTCC | FAA Miami ARTCC