• Replies 892
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Top Posters In This Topic

Popular Posts

VATSYS Present in WorldFlight 2020 I was crazy enough to try it on Tuesday! And it did pretty good managing the eastbound departures out of Mexico Center. Still some things to figure out an

Not live but progress so far on the Mexico Vatsys Sector    

It wasn't live last time... but guess what... it is now!  

Posted Images

Skylar, your STARS colors appear ... just a bit off.

Color profile is based off of a real world controller's final approach configuration from a video I saw.

If it's the S46 16C video, the colors used in the recording aren't the same as what's on the scopes.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Color profile is based off of a real world controller's final approach configuration from a video I saw.

If it's the S46 16C video, the colors used in the recording aren't the same as what's on the scopes.

Oh well I liked it and thought it was realistic so I used it someone post their color profiles config for me! Aiming for realism and went the wrong way apparently rofl.

kZSE S3 Advanced Approach - I'm almost ALWAYS on, come fly with us!

I was about to say... STARS doesn't use blue for the beacon slash. The only time targets are only blue is if the brightness is turned all the way down on "BCN" (the beacon slash) in which it just isn't visible at all and you get a primary target only pointed at the antenna... or if using multi-sensor mode in that you get a blue block pointed in the direction the of the track that is either blue solid or a blue border only.

And to the ultra-realistic response, it was a joking prod hence the

• 2 weeks later...

To add on to that, there's also a "DSR" color profile floating around that uses yellow/wheat colors for the targets based off of some picture out on the internet. Unless you do crazy things to the targets, you'll never see anything other than shades of green. The background color ranges from black-ish to royal blue depending on your brightness, though.

Source: ZDC Visit

Here's the culprit (not fully accurate):

194130_dsr_nexrad_warp.jpg

Kyle Rodgers

The content of this post, unless expressly written, refers only to those procedures in the United States of America,

following the Federal Aviation Administration Regulations thereof.

To add on to that, there's also a "DSR" color profile floating around that uses yellow/wheat colors for the targets based off of some picture out on the internet. Unless you do crazy things to the targets, you'll never see anything other than shades of green. The background color ranges from black-ish to royal blue depending on your brightness, though.

Source: ZDC Visit

Here's the culprit (not fully accurate):

194130_dsr_nexrad_warp.jpg

Actually, DSR targets and data blocks are shades of pure yellow, because 100% intensity DSR is straight yellow for targets and data blocks.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Not a single position at ZDC had yellow anywhere on the scope, despite varying screen intensities (no joke, one guy set up bright royal blue on one scope at TYI he liked it that bright). So I'm not sure what everyone else is looking at, or if ZDC doesn't run the same version of DSR, or what...

Kyle Rodgers

The content of this post, unless expressly written, refers only to those procedures in the United States of America,

DSR is a standarized, nationwide system. Variations noted between facilities and/or between individual scopes is more physical equipment than a locally adapted thing. I've visited 5 different centers in my short career, and the scopes all look identical. I have little reason to believe there's any difference in the others, but if you can show me otherwise, by all means do.

Data blocks are generated in pure, unadulterated shades of yellow. CRR readouts and draw functions can draw in yellow, green, red, or white. When set side-by-side, it's night and day the difference in color between the yellow data block and green text on a scope. Obviously the text font is "thicker" to boot. Not the single-pixel thickness we're mostly used to seeing.

Background ranges from a pure black to a fairly bright shade of blue. It may well be fully saturated blue... I'll have to play with it.

If the scopes look grayish... it's the same thing as if you were to turn up the brightness on your monitor all the way up while looking at an otherwise black background. It grays a bit because of raw light output, such that no back lit monitor produces a truly pure black. Remember too, the displays being used are OLD AS SIN as well. Modern desktop monitors run circles around the technology and produce a cleaner look.

Remember, DSR is a system that was designed in the 80s, installed in the early 90s, and projects data generated from a system patched together and upgraded only so much since the 60s. It's not that mega fancy, powerful, or customizable (sp?).

~Nate

Nate Johns

"All things are difficult before they are easy."

- Dr. Thomas Fuller, Gnomologia, 1732

DSR is a standarized, nationwide system. Variations noted between facilities and/or between individual scopes is more physical equipment than a locally adapted thing. I've visited 5 different centers in my short career, and the scopes all look identical. I have little reason to believe there's any difference in the others, but if you can show me otherwise, by all means do.

If I could've take a picture on the floor, I would've, but I swear to all of ya that if you go to ZDC and walk around the floor, there isn't a hint of yellow on any of those screens.

EDIT: changed post to quote only the relevant issue, per the comment of the following post

Edited by Guest

Kyle Rodgers

Sorry - I got lazy. It's too early and I haven't finished my coffee. Like I said, though, I can't take pictures on the floor, so that research point won't exactly work.

Kyle Rodgers

No worries, just busting chops.

I've got a couple of acquaintances at ZDC, and I can ask our local automation folk as well, as they should be better acquainted with what information is locally adaptable.

Nate Johns

Fair enough - I tend to bust people a good bit when it comes to posting etiquette and so on so it's all good.

Let me know. I swear I'm not colorblind, and I never once saw yellow. I was there for 3 hours and sat at 4 or 5 different positions (TYI, LDN, SWANN - forget the others) in different areas with varying background brightness (definitely supports the grey-bright blue comments). I could have just not seen it, but the colors were definitely varying shades of paler greens instead of yellows.

Kyle Rodgers

It took me a very long time to accept that it's just yellow. I thought it was a funky shade of greenish yellow for the longest time, even while working. I got frustrated enough though to start directly comparing, and lo I found yellow. I think having a relatively small area of yellow on an otherwise black/bluish field makes it look greener than it is.

The tab lists on the scope... those are green for sure. That's another comparison item to look at, though I understand it's a bit difficult to say hey, go back for another ZDC tour and find out for us

I'll go ask around... bored of drawing maps at present.

Nate Johns

It's actually not too difficult. I have two contacts there who could probably bring me back in, or somehow get some data about it.

Kyle Rodgers