You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

The funniest things you have ever heard while controlling.

Jake Sims 1158411

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

no download leg on the overhead i would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume he had already done the break, altho just an [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umption from the call made i dont think thats normal for Honolulu even tho it does have a military area

to add to Dans explanation

F0504022.gif

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

• Don Desfosse

• Thimo Koolen

• Ross Carlson

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262 36 posts

• Don Desfosse

Don Desfosse 24 posts

• Thimo Koolen

Thimo Koolen 19 posts

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 16 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 19 2011

25 posts

• Oct 12 2011

15 posts

• Nov 20 2011

14 posts

• Oct 11 2011

14 posts

Popular Posts

Matthew McEwen

"Tower, g'day, Clipper 811, international car park level 3 bay 14, request taxi" During a quiet evening on Sydney Tower.

Dace Nicmane

It happened to me recently that I couldn't vacate the runway and couldn't figure out why. It turned out I'd landed without gear. The controller had sent me a .contactme on final and distracted me. It

Luka Stevens

meanwhile on Belux Vacc OO-BET: approach this is OO-BET declearing an emergency, engine failure. APPROACH: roger emergency services are on the way to your currect position OO-BET: ooo there's a fie

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
no download leg on the overhead i would [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume he had already done the break, altho just an [Mod - Happy Thoughts]umption from the call made i dont think thats normal for Honolulu even tho it does have a military area

to add to Dans explanation

F0504022.gif

Nah, they do overhead breaks when the 8s are active sometimes depending on traffic. If it's busy enough they most likely try to shy away from it. But you'd be surprised at what can happen with the right controllers.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

sweet! now that i would love to see seeing it at a military base is one thing but over an international airport, thats gotta make it even more fun

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

As far as I know it is in the .65 so it should be available at any airport. I have seen it multiple time when I worked at DAY and no military there. You'll have to go to Wright Pat for that.

The above pertains to United States

37.png

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted

Pensacola Airport has it happen, but that is because there is lots of military in the area. Honolulu is both an International Airport and an Air Force Base which is why it might still happen there. I doubt LAX or JFK see overhead breaks.

Wim Sjoholm 1133704
Posted
Posted

The overhead break + full stop landing (break initiated at about 35 seconds)

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=C7Hn8EMa8sQ

Somehow rated s3

Mahmoud Fadli 819693
Posted
Posted

Here's one from my time at OJAC_CTR. Note that airport elevation is 2500 for OJAI.

OJAC_CTR: MSRXXX, descend and maintain 5,000, fly present heading, cleared ILS Runway 26L.

MSRXXX: Sir, request descent to 2,000. I can't intercept at 5,000, it's too high.

OJAC_CTR: MSRXXX, airport elevation 2,500.

MSRXXX: ??

OJAC_CTR: Sir, the airport's elevation is 2,500 feet. You can try to descend to 2,000, but I wouldn't do it!

... one minute pause as the aircraft continues on the approach ...

MSRXXX: HOLY [Mod - lovely stuff]! You mean the airport's on a mountain?!

OJAC_CTR: ... MSRXXX, Contact Tower on 119.800, good luck.

Good times!

MFSIGVATAME.png

Mahmoud A. Fadli - 819693

Deputy Region Director

VATSIM Africa & Middle East Region

http://www.vatame.org

"Strength in Diversity"

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

i had one like that controlling in Havana. pilot flying to MUCU which has a very high mountain next to it. pilot wanted to descend early, apparently not knowing he'd be going over a 7000+ft mountain on the way into the airport lol. he insisted, so i gave him "at your own risk" he never made it to the airport

William Lewis
Posted
Posted

@Hawton

My guess would be it is more a matter of traffic or workload rather than the airport. Same theory as the restriction of VFR aircraft in the pattern at those airports. It is not that they can't do it they just are typically busy with other traffic in the arrival or departure sequence.

The above pertains to United States

37.png

John-Alan Pascoe 1173839
Posted
Posted

Thanks to all the people who explained what an overhead approach is. Sounds like it would be 'interesting' to attempt in a C17, but I suppose if you take your turning circle large enough it would work.

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

yep even the big boys fly them, especially the C5's

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted
Thanks to all the people who explained what an overhead approach is. Sounds like it would be 'interesting' to attempt in a C17, but I suppose if you take your turning circle large enough it would work.

And that's fine as far as it goes. But there is also the overhead join, used mainly in VFR when a pilot is approaching a field with no currently active ATC. The procedure is to cross the midfield at 2000ft AGL from whatever direction you are coming from, "ascertain" the pattern direction (normally lefthand, but the signal square will define that, if there is one, in the absence of which [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ume lefthand. The reason you cross initially at midfield is so that you can scope out the signal square, if there is one). Then descend on the dead side (which may mean re-tracing your route at 2000'AGL until you are on the dead side before descending, making all turns in the circuit direction) to circuit height, and once again overfly the runway, above the upwind end this time, keeping a good lookout for departing traffic, and turn downwind at a suitable distance depending on your type. During this, make standard radio calls.

Oh wait. This is VATSIM. So don't make standard calls on the published ATC frequency at all. Instead, monitor Unicom, like everyone else is doing as per the Requirement.

Oh, wait. VATSIM does not require you to type anything (transmit) while on Unicom, so if we all do that, we're all listening to, er, nothing. Well, that's helpful.

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Daniel Hawton
Posted
Posted
Oh, wait. VATSIM does not require you to type anything (transmit) while on Unicom, so if we all do that, we're all listening to, er, nothing. Well, that's helpful.

VFR... see and avoid. If you have FSInn, use its radar. Just gotta look around.

Alistair Thomson
Posted
Posted

VFR... see and avoid. If you have FSInn, use its radar. Just gotta look around.

You can do that without Unicom…

Alistair Thomson

===

Definition: a gentleman is a flying instructor in a Piper Cherokee who can change tanks without getting his face slapped.

Claus Hemberg Joergensen
Posted
Posted

Myself manning Copenhagen Approach (EKCH_APP), ESOS_CTR just in the middle of a controller change, so the pilot departing EKCH had to stay at FL190 and on my freq. until the change was completed:

EKCH_APP: Due to controller change in Sweden, maintain FL190 and expect further climb in a few minutes

Pilot: No sweat, baby

Not quite the readback I expected

Claus Hemberg Joergensen
Vatsim Membership Manager - Americas

vatsim_250.png.cb6bb5fa2b0b19b9301c46c1dea85658.png

Dave James 1018738
Posted
Posted

...............Start to be concerned when they refer to you as either Honey or Darling.

A few weeks ago:

ATC: Call sign, say present position

PILOT: Present position

ATC: Call sign, what is your present position

PILOT: Inbound to you sir, I request landing

ATC:

David James

VATSIM Screenshot Contest Coordinator

Intel Core 2 Quad CPU Q6600 2.4gig, RAM 3.25gig, ATI Radeon HD4800, XP Pro SP3, FS9.1 FSnav FSinn VRC

EXS_3.jpg

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Heh, reminds me of one I had during CTP a couple of months ago....

BOS_CTR: "Callsign, say flight level."

PILOT: "Flight level"

BOS_CTR: "Heh, OK, Callsign, say "'Ready to copy holding instructions'"

PILOT: "Flight Level 240"

BOS_CTR: <has another slug of Jack D>

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

James Barnaby 1067268
Posted
Posted

That one is great

VATUSA, vZAU S2 / ORD Major Cert.

Burak Bugday
Posted
Posted

I had very interesting dialog with a vpilot when controlling at Bucharest Approach about 2 months ago...

Pilot : good evening approach ready to taxi

(as he was still parked at the gate)

LROP_APP: xxxx, confirm requesting taxi as far as I see you are still parked at gate A2.

Pilot: Affirm, requesting taxi

LROP_APP: taxi holding point 26R via L,S,N, O

Pilot: taxiing to holding point 26R via Lima, Sierra, Nancy and October

LROP_APP: Lima sierra november oscar to hp 26R

pilot: roger, Nancy sounded better and believe me she's hot! lima sierra north pole and october to 26R

LROP_APP: advise ready to copy atc clearance

pilot: whats clearance?

LROP_APP: (trying to explain as simple as possible) your permission to fly

pilot: I dont need to ask for permission from you to fly I can fly when ever I want

he disconnects

Best Regards,

Burak Bugday - 983451

Turkish vACC Deputy Director

Sava  Markovic 1109329
Posted
Posted

Sava Markovic

SCGvACC Events Coordinator

William Sequeira 1192651
Posted
Posted

I wish there was a recording mix put together on this stuff like videos on YouTube...I was thinking something like Boston John, only with an bloopers section.

1192651.png

Anthony Baker 1080999
Posted
Posted

Pilot: Houston, We have a problem.

(anyother ATC location): *Callsign, You have a biiger problem, this isnt Houston. 0.o

ZAU S-2, Major Certified

ZAU S-1 Mentor

(Disclaimer: the post above does not necessarily express the opinion or stance of ZAU or ZAUs training program, this view is made by me and me alone)

7664.png

Richard Gerrish
Posted
Posted

Richard Gerrish

Developer, STM Applications Group

Brendan Lynch 1167842
Posted
Posted
Pilot: Houston, We have a problem.

(anyother ATC location): *Callsign, You have a biiger problem, this isnt Houston. 0.o

Okay, that one is real good.

2vuh2cx.gif

John Muenster 1149119
Posted
Posted

Me: "xxx turn right heading 360."

Pilot: "right 360" a little over a minute later he finally starts to turn

Me: "xxx 10 from JALTO, tun left heading 300, maintain 3000 til established, cleared ILS 27R app''

Pilot: "uh roger, left 300, cleared ILS app." Again takes a minute to initiate turn, when he does turn his bank angle is about 5° and blows right through the localizer

Pilot: "Uh sir, we just went right through the localizer, you really suck at this."

At this point an unidentified pilot came across the frequency and said,

"xxx maybe it's you that sucks!"

John Muenster (MR) - Minneapolis ARTCC

Unless expressly written, my comments in no way reflect the opinions of any ARTCC I am affiliated with, they are personal opinions only.