You're browsing the 2004-2023 VATSIM Forums archive. All content is preserved in a read-only fashion.
For the latest forum posts, please visit https://forum.vatsim.net.

Need to find something? Use the Google search below.

The funniest things you have ever heard while controlling.

Jake Sims 1158411

Chad Vienna 1195499
Posted
Posted
Ah, Marko, I do understand. These are just small snippets from a long controlling session last night. I, of course, was as helpful as possible to the folks. Those who know me will vouch for the fact that I try to help and teach every time I am on VATSIM. I even remarked several times, no problem, I was new once too. Taken out of context, I see how these could seem mean, but in totality, they were hopefully quick quips to keep the energy and levity high while also attempting to [Mod - Happy Thoughts]ist folks. I apologize for the lack of context, and appreciate your point of view.

"Boston Don"!

Great snippets! I think that it's great when controllers add a little humor to the situation when they're on the scope.

Recently:

Me: "Beech 15Y off A5 request taxi to Premier Jet" (I was in a F33).

Controller: "Baron 15Y taxing to parking via Alpha remain this frequency"

Controller: "Sorry about that ""Bonanza" 15Y taxi to parking via Alpha remain this frequency".

Me: "Parking via Alpha and no problem, at least you didn't call me Delta 15Y"

Chad Vienna - KCRQ

ZLA Pilot Cert I-09

d_8855.jpg

"The important thing in aeroplanes is that they shall be speedy." — Baron Manfred Von Richthofen

• Replies 670
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

• Don Desfosse

• Thimo Koolen

• Ross Carlson

Top Posters In This Topic

• Ernesto Alvarez 818262

Ernesto Alvarez 818262 36 posts

• Don Desfosse

Don Desfosse 24 posts

• Thimo Koolen

Thimo Koolen 19 posts

• Ross Carlson

Ross Carlson 16 posts

Popular Days

• Apr 19 2011

25 posts

• Oct 12 2011

15 posts

• Nov 20 2011

14 posts

• Oct 11 2011

14 posts

Popular Posts

Matthew McEwen

"Tower, g'day, Clipper 811, international car park level 3 bay 14, request taxi" During a quiet evening on Sydney Tower.

Dace Nicmane

It happened to me recently that I couldn't vacate the runway and couldn't figure out why. It turned out I'd landed without gear. The controller had sent me a .contactme on final and distracted me. It

Luka Stevens

meanwhile on Belux Vacc OO-BET: approach this is OO-BET declearing an emergency, engine failure. APPROACH: roger emergency services are on the way to your currect position OO-BET: ooo there's a fie

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

It's the variety of traffic and experience levels that keep it exciting, and the ability to both teach new folks and especially the ability to work with true, consummate professional controllers and pilots (like yourself) that make this so rewarding. Thank you for flying in my airspace last night.

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

Kevin Yang
Posted
Posted

Pilot: "Cleared for take-off runway 28 right, and by the way, drugs kill people."

Captain Kevin

8e9bfe368edaef204bfa6a1373fc6422.jpg

Jamie Luca Dobinson 111247
Posted
Posted

In private message to one pilot, "flying" with a friend.

O [21:06:00] >> Stop taxiing

[21:06:16] >> Please return to a stand.

O [21:06:20] LX340: ARE YOU CONTROLLING THIS AIRPORT

[21:06:33] >> Yes.

O [21:06:38] LX340: BYE THEN

[21:06:41] >> Bye.

VATITA Training Director

[email protected]

• 2 weeks later...
Celestyn Chmielewski
Posted
Posted

Few hours ago when on Gatwick Director (EGKK_APP) on text frequency .....

Me: Turn left heading 060. Expect straight in approach

EZYXXX: L 060 and tanks

EZYXXX: Thanks*

Me: No known tanks reported in controlled airspace

EZYXXX: Good

Celestyn Chmielewski

Proud to be member of British Airways Virtual!

CelestynChmielewskiSignature4.png

Mina Elias
Posted
Posted

A couple of days on Emirates Center(OMAE_CTR)!

Pilot: Do you want me to continue on a heading of 110

Me: Neagtive, Direct DARAX (waypoint in the UAE airspace)

Pilot: Sir in this plane we have no ILS

Vatsim Emirates Controler

Andy McCall
Posted
Posted

On Heathrow Tower during the Vatsim-UK Live! event:

Pilot: With you, established ILS rwy 27R

Me: Continue approach, no.2

Pilot: I have an aircraft in front of me on TCAS, is that correct?

Me: Affirm sir, that's why you're no.2

Cheers

Andy McCall

S3

UK

Willis Chong
Posted
Posted

Was doing delivery and this happened.

WSSS_GND: AICxxx taxi to holding point E1 for runway 20C via C6 SC1 EP.

AICxxx: Roger taxi holding point E1 runway 20C via C6 SC1 EP.

AICxxx follows taxis correctly but turns the wrong direction onto EP which leads to 02C and is about to miss the last junction to turn back.

WSSS_GND: AICxxx hold position, you are going the wrong direction.

By the time the transmission ended the plane is way past the junction.

AICxxx: Don't worry sir, we got it.

Then the plane goes all over the gr[Mod - Happy Thoughts] and back on the taxiway on the correct direction.

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

On UNICOM:

WWA###: What's a Unicom?

Me: You're talking on it

Me: Uni = one, Com = communication. One frequency to rule them all...

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Ernesto Alvarez 818262
Posted
Posted

we need to stop calling it that and move into the realm of CTAF just for correctness. sometimes it tends to confuse real world folks that come on VATSIM and think theyll get a reply from a ground station.

although im still of the opinion of letting S1's with the new GRP be able to staff up the unicom frequencies. be nice to get a reply for advisories not to mention the ability of all users in the area being able to use voice on it since a controller is on it win win situation if i say so myself. and since its monitored by the controller, its easier to moderate

Ross Carlson
Posted
Posted
although im still of the opinion of letting S1's with the new GRP be able to staff up the unicom frequencies.

I'd rather see them on an actual ATC position myself ... maybe if we ever redesign the network protocol to allow controllers to cover more than one frequency (to essentially have multiple primary freqs), then we could have controllers working an actual ATC position plus staffing UNICOM.

Developer: vPilot, VRC, vSTARS, vERAM, VAT-Spy

Senior Controller, Boston Virtual ARTCC

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

I hear Germany has already implemented AFIS (Aerodrome Flight Information Service) as a TWR position that doesn't actually do any controlling.

Ernesto, we could call it a CTAF... but that terminology is only used in the US, Canada and Australia.

David Zhong

Bradford Lee
Posted
Posted
we need to stop calling it that and move into the realm of CTAF just for correctness. sometimes it tends to confuse real world folks that come on VATSIM and think theyll get a reply from a ground station.

I say advisory, especially after reading about what Unicom is in the real-world, aye.

Brad Lee

spacer.png

ZJX ARTCC

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted
I hear Germany has already implemented AFIS (Aerodrome Flight Information Service) as a TWR position that doesn't actually do any controlling.

Ernesto, we could call it a CTAF... but that terminology is only used in the US, Canada and Australia.

AFIS positions have been around since before I started vatsim a few years back. We also have AG radios simulated in the UK which aren't controlling either. We also simulate London Information which isn't a controller position either (staffed by FISOs real world).

So there are plenty of those examples, however they're all simulating a real world system. While the concept of a unicom or safetycom (blind transmissions on a designated frequency etc) is used for real the scale of it is so much smaller than it is on vatsim.

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Fred Michaels 1137645
Posted
Posted

While on MIA CTR:

Me: AALXXX winds 070 at 4, Runway 8R, cleared to land.

AALXXX: Cleared to land, 8R.

(The B737 lands, runs 2 miles off the end of the runway before stopping)

Me: AALXXX, welcome to the Miami International area. Back to the field, taxi via I-95 & surface streets. Contact Miami Ground on 121.800 upon reaching the parameter fence.

-Fred

Deputy Air Traffic Manager

Miami vARTCC - United States Division (I1)

• Board of Governors
Don Desfosse
Posted
Posted

Heh -- very similar one last night....

"Fedex xxx Heavy, welcome to Boston. Left turn at the end, if able. If unable, take Route 93 North two exits to Exit 24B, then follow the signs back to the cargo terminal."

And then, about 2.5 seconds later, after seeing him go from 110 knots to 0 in one second, just beyond the edge of the runway...

"Fedex xxx Heavy, hold your position there, crash-fire-rescue is enroute to put out the flames coming from your now-melting brakes."

Lots of laughter on frequency from all, including the pilot.....

Don Desfosse
Vice President, Operations

• Board of Governors
Roger Curtiss
Posted
Posted

Last night while on as SEA_CTR I engaged in this exchange on text

PILOT: How do you copy this radio?

ME: I read your text loud and clear

Roger Curtiss

VATGOV12

VP-Virtual Airlines & Special Ops

r.curtiss(at)vatsim.net

810159.png810159.png

Steve Kirks 1252923
Posted
Posted

I'm the pilot, and a VATSIM friend is the controller on Philidelphia Approach. I'm parked in a GA slot, facing taxiway.

PHL_APP: taxi runway 19 intersection Kilo via Bravo, Kilo.

Me: (repeating back while hustling through the GA taxi and run up checklist)

I make two lefts out of parking when a friendly voice calls:

PHL_APP: looks like you're going north there, might want to turn around....

Me: (chuckling) sorry, I *do* have charts on board...

PHL_APP: (without missing a beat, deadpan) are you reading them?

I laughed long and loud at that...served me right.

Steve Kirks

ZME S2 Usually MEM_TWR

ZLA I-3 rated pilot

Usually on as:

FDX4345 in a PMDG 777

N533ET in a Pilatus PC-12

N323VB in a Lancair Legacy

1252923.png

John Hampton 1264149
Posted
Posted

New pilot on VATSIM here! Been enjoying reading some of these; if I may, wanted to say a couple things.

1) Please DO correct me! I think sometimes I do things wrong and the ATC just ignores it. That's no good! How can I learn anything!?

2) I think the reason a 'common theme' is people calling out their altitude and nothing else when contacting center, is that's the way FSX does it by default. The built-in ATC does it like that (N710DS with you one-one-thousand).

UAL159.png

UAL159 John Hampton, First Officer - Bombardier Dash 8 Q400

Willis Chong
Posted
Posted
New pilot on VATSIM here! Been enjoying reading some of them; if I may, wanted to say a couple things.

1) Please DO correct me! I think sometimes I do things wrong and the ATC just ignores it. That's no good! How can I learn anything!?

2) I think the reason a 'common theme' is people calling out their altitude and nothing else when contacting center, is that's the way FSX does it by default. The built-in ATC does it like that (N710DS with you one-one-thousand).

Welcome on board! Do have a great time here!

1) The ATC may not have realised. If you think you're doing something wrong and the ATC remains quiet, feel free to ask for a confirmation.

2) You only report those if you're handed over. If you came in from an uncontrolled airspace, it'd be better to report your position as well since the controller may not be able to find you, especially if he's controlling a huge airspace.

David Zhong
Posted
Posted

You don't need to call your actual altitude if you have already been on radar control. The important thing to report on first contact is your [Mod - Happy Thoughts]igned altitude, e.g. "London, BAW123, climbing FL100" or "Tehran, UAE123, maintaining FL330".

David Zhong

Dhruv Kalra
Posted
Posted

In the US, you are required to report your current or p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing altitude/flight level to each radar controller in order for the controller to positively correlate Mode-C accuracy within +/- 300ft of pilot-reported altitudes.

Dhruv Kalra

VATUSA ZMP ATM | Instructor | VATSIM Network Supervisor

878508.png878508.png

Johan Grauers
Posted
Posted

For the UK you only report your callsign and cleared level ("London control, BAW58M FL340). The exception is after departure where you follow the SID chart instruction and report SID, p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing level, cleared level (Scottish control BEE41, Desig1T departure p[Mod - Happy Thoughts]ing 800 feet climbing to altitude 3000 feet).

Johan Grauers

Event Coordinator - vACC Scandinavia

Marco Bivins 1150662
Posted
Posted

Little fokker... I would have spilled my drink in my lap if I'd heard that one.

Marko Milivojevic 1263557
Posted
Posted
:D Little fokker... I would have spilled my drink in my lap if I'd heard that one.

I'm desperately hoping to fly near a Fokker so I can say those words